Shot in the back

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sad, but I'm not sure I can really fault the officers if the lady was bleeding, holding the bloody instrument, unresponsive and approaching them.

I have seen our local cops take down a guy high on angle dust. It took 10 officers to get him in the police car. Dude lost teeth and I'm sure there were broken bones, but to shoot someone in the back, especially a woman having a seizure, is too far. Metro has a high kill ratio here in Vegas, every one has been deemed justifiable, including the homeless drunk guy stabbed in the back with his own knife.
This story just sickened me. Probably because when my friend David had blood sugar issues and we had to call 911 he was often very agitated, mean and biligerant. If the cops or EMS attendants were ignorant to this side effects of low blood sugar or epilepsy, they just didn't know how to respond to it and often made it worse.
My heart goes out to her family.

I must have read it too quickly. I didn't snap to the fact she was shot in the back. :ponder:

I read

that, and didn't know what to say........except total disbelief.....

I must have read it too quickly. I didn't snap to the fact she was shot in the back. :ponder:

Hmmmm, Mr B. I thought the title of the thread was clear on how she was killed. The cops shot her in the back because she was approaching one with a crochet hook while having a seizure.

Everyone granny knows just how deadly a crochet hook is and the only way to stop a grandma coming at you with this lethal yarn knotter is to shoot her in the back and kill her.

Don't tackle her, or if you MUST shoot, don't shoot her in the shoulder, knee or foot. Use DEADLY force to stop grandma and her crochet hook of doom.

Here's an image of this horrible weapon that should be regulated.

overhand.jpg

Ok. I feel better. I'll shut up now.
:soap:

I read the article and I am utterly speechless,
dismayed, and this is absolutely senseless!

I mean - exactly what is this:

Crochet Hook -vs- Bullet Proof Vest?

Count me clueless?

Have they lost their abilities to summon Medics?

I am full of questions ... I hope those Officers get
that Internal Investigation thoroughly and et al ....

Experienced city medics should recognize these symptoms quickly, however the police rarely get such training. Our rural police probably understand it better. Plus, they are not dealing with threats to their lives on a daily basis. I personnaly think those are two factors in the cause of these tragic events. Damn few cops start their day thinking 'who can I shoot today'.

In my 20 years as an EMT, I ran across the diabetis many times, but never an agressive epilepsy case. In any case, be it drug, alcohol, or medically induced, it should be identifiable.

I am all for shots to the extremities, though those can be fatal as well and hard to hit.

Prayers to this family!

Back
Top Bottom