sorbitol-Severe Weight Loss From Too Much Sugarless Gum

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Severe Weight Loss From Too Much Sugarless Gum

By DAN CHILDS
ABC News Medical Unit
Jan. 11, 2008

Share It was a baffling medical mystery. A 21-year-old woman showed up at her doctor's office after having suffered abdominal pains and severe diarrhea for eight months — and losing 25 pounds.

ABC News OnCall+ Diabetes CenterAnother patient, a 46-year-old man, arrived at the hospital with similar complaints. He had lost nearly 50 pounds.

In both cases, which occurred in Germany, the symptoms could have pointed to a severe food intolerance, serious bowel problems or worse. But after a battery of medical tests and a complete medical history, doctors in Berlin finally unlocked the secret behind the massive weight loss in these patients.

Sugarless gum. And lots of it.

Specifically, an ingredient in sugar-free gum called sorbitol — used instead of sugar to make the gum sweet — turned out to be the key culprit in both cases. In a report published Thursday in the British Medical Journal, the German doctors said the female patient had chewed up to 16 sticks of sugarless gum per day, while the male patient consumed about 20 sticks daily.

But in addition to being used as a sweetener, the ingredient has other uses in the medical arena.

So now are we going to be seeing the Sugarless Gum Diet?
These artificial sweetners seem to be really nasty ingredients. Too bad there ins't an intelligence factor in taste buds.

Natural sugar is way better than artificial sweetners IMO. Everything in moderation!

Also, Stevia is a good, natural alternative sweetner for teas and anything that doesn't have to be cooked.

Agreed RobinN. But then again, it's our modern fast food culture we're talking about. I found that I felt better physically, when the only processed food I bought was wheat or whole grain bread.

I totally agree. There are some other nasty artificial ingredients that usually end in 'tol' like malitol, sortitol....
I avoid them completely. They're in a bunch of diet bars, 'sugar free' chocolate or candy, etc.
The only sweetener that still seems to be safe is just plan old sugar, also known as sucrose. Fructose is also safe as well since it's derived from fruits. I highly recommend the unprocessed sugar that can be purchased in individual packets (brown sugar, too).
Watch out for the 'sugar-free' brown sugar made from any artificial sweeteners. They're prevalent on the market because of the high incidence of diabetes today.
All we have to do to lose weight is cut our carbs, lay off white bread, lay off artificial sweeteners, cut down on sugar and caffeine. I did that for several months and lost a few inches around my waist and a few pounds. I always thought that those sugar free products would help me lose weight, but they do not work that way. I presume it's because they really do not convert into real energy. I also walk 2 miles daily to burn off any excess carbohydrates (they convert right into sugar!) and calories.
Trust me, this technique works.
And, I've seen several references to Agave nectar as a safe sweetener. It can be found in many health stores. I use that as well.

Last edited:
One product that has caught the attention of the health advocate community is Agave nectar which is commonly used as a sugar and honey substitute in teas, health drinks, coffee or cooking items that require sweetening. Agave nectar is now being sold in many health food or specialty markets as a superior sweetening agent often advertised as "natural" or "organic" to appeal to the health conscious individual. The problem is Agave nectar is anything but healthy, and recent evidence suggests that it is a toxic substance on par with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).
HFCS has been used for years as a sweetener in many processed food. HFCS is created by chemically altering corn syrup to increase its sweetness. The problem is HFCS is devoid of minerals and other nutrients often found in natural sugars such as fruit, and is a contributor to high triglycerides which predispose to heart disease. For children on the autism-spectrum the consumption of HFCS and Agave nectar the concern is certainly abnormal fat production, but also the increase in inflammation in the body which can weaken their immune system and adversely affect neurological function.

In a recent article from food and nutrition researcher Rami Nagel you will learn about the dangers of HFCS and the hoax of Agave nectar as a healthy alternative sweetener. I would recommend avoiding the use of Agave nectar as a sweetener for your autism-spectrum child. It is definitely not a health product. See this link for the article on Agave Nectar.
from the desk of Kurt Woeller, D.O.
Stillpoint Wellness Center

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom