Coping With Epilepsy Medikidz Comic Book Explains Epilepsy
Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Peer Support > The Library

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2018, 06:24 PM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Will Epilepsy be Considered Autoimmune?

It has been a while since I have posted on this forum. Hello!

Autoimmune epilepsy is a new diagnosis and has therapy besides anti-epileptic drugs or surgery.

http://<b>http://epilepsycurrents.or...=amep-site</b>

There are many types of autoimmune epilepsy out there and they vary considerably. Some of them seem to respond well to immune therapy. I will be seeing a new neurologist to discuss some new possible therapy as I recently had autoimmune testing done and my GAD antibody levels were very abnormal. Who knows. If immune therapy doesn't work, maybe I just need to concentrate on GABA levels. (GAD) Glutamate decarboxylase is an enzyme that catalyzes the decarboxylation of glutamate to GABA, the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain. These levels can also explain my type 1 diabetes and possibly other symptoms I have.

I was first diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of nineteen, then hypothyroidism four years at 23, then type 1 diabetes at thirty eleven years later. It is possible these other autoimmune conditions could be prevented if I started today with epilepsy and a blood test for antibodies.

No matter where I find myself, I am the navigator, and happiness my desired permanent position.
Epilepsy, Type 1 Diabetes and Hashimotos at times interferes with this location.
Family and Friends help with calibration.

I almost always play the devil's advocate and turn conversation to debate. It is helpful to remain silent so often. I cannot do this with myself. My idea of heaven is absence of thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to DayDreamer For This Useful Post:
Bernard (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 04:49 AM

B6 Enzymes

Quote :
GAD65 autoantibodies and its role as biomarker of Type 1 diabetes and Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA)
Quote :
In basic biochemical terms, L-Glutamic acid decarboxylase is the major enzyme in the synthesis of g-amino butyric acid (GABA) which is a potent inhibitory neurotransmitter and a critical component of neurophysiologic function. It requires a co-factor, pyridoxal 5’-phosphate (i.e. (PLP or activated vitamin B6] to catalyze this reaction.
The above quotes were taken from the following URL:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3411186/

You may be interested in reading my posts which begin on page 6 of the following thread: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...50/index6.html

Here is a thread which I started over at Braintalk communities in 2008: http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...ad.php?t=36549

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Last edited by Andrew; 08-07-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,321 Times in 5,404 Posts
I think some forms of epilepsy will be considered autoimmune, but perhaps not all. Certainly it's interesting to see how treatments are expanding to include those targeting autoimmune responses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nakamova For This Useful Post:
Cint (08-08-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Your Host
Recent Blog: Oh poop

Thanked 2,290 Times in 817 Posts
DayDreamer, the link in your post doesn't work and I'm not sure what article/page you were trying to share. Can you provide the correct link?
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Old 08-08-2018, 08:56 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 3,163 Times in 2,054 Posts
Daydreamer,

I have Epilepsy, too. Mine started when I was 22 years old. After I started taking Tegretol, I developed Hashimoto's, too. But it also runs in my family. After I had a left temporal lobectomy, I went thru a severe depression, so my shrink prescribed Zyprexa, which is also used for Bi-polar disorder. After taking it for just over a month, I noticed a big change in my vision, and went to my optometrist who then made the diagnosis of Diabetes. She asked if I had started any new meds and I told her about the ZYPREXA. So my point is, Epilepsy effects some women differently. While estrogen is involved, it will make seizures much more difficult to control. So maybe it is an autoimmune disorder when combined with hormonal issues.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Epilepsy Currents

“Autoimmune Epilepsy”: Encephalitis With Autoantibodies for Epileptologists

Christian G. Bien,1* Martin Holtkamp2 1Epilepsy Centre Bethel, Krankenhaus Mara, Bielefeld, Germany 2Epilepsy-Center Berlin-Brandenburg, Department of Neurology, Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany *Address correspondance to Christian G. Bien, Epilepsy Centre Bethel, Krankenhaus Mara, Maraweg 17-21, 33649 Bielefeld, Germany. E-Mail: <redacted>

Autoimmune encephalitides may account for epilepsies of so far unknown cause. These “autoimmune epilepsies” may respond well to immunotherapy. More than a dozen autoantibodies have been found with this constellation; therefore, broad autoantibody testing of serum-CSF pairs offers the best diagnostic yield. Several particular features raise the suspicion of an autoimmune cause in otherwise unexplained seizure disorders.

http://epilepsycurrents.org/doi/pdf/...-7511.17.3.134

Last edited by Bernard; 08-09-2018 at 08:53 AM. Reason: remove email address
The Following User Says Thank You to DayDreamer For This Useful Post:
Bernard (08-09-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 05:00 AM
New Here

Therapy is very different for everyone, even people with one type of epilepsy need different treatment sometimes