have you ever asked someone to show you by imitation what your seizures are like?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
have you ever asked someone to show you by imitation what your seizures are like?
this is basically assuming you've never seen video of yourself, but you've wanted to know what you look like and have asked someone what you do, what your actions are like...
I've asked several people, "well what do I look like? what do I do?" and their uninspired 1-2 second "Thriller" zombie dance hardly does it for me.
It almost makes me think people think I would rather not really know what it's like.

People, i know dont really KNOW what my seizures look like because im usually at home or in the car when theyve happened in the past. its usually ME educating THEM. my husband and my mother are the only two people that really know what i look like and they both say that i just faint, and pass out and kinda twitch alittle. nothing huge like a grand mal, and thats at my WORST. best case sinario, i sit there unable to talk for a minute or two and things people say dont make sense and i cant string together a straight sentence.....idk if thats considered tame or not?

No i never ask,i have a rough idea of what happend and i don't need to know every last detail,only thing i do ask is was it a bad one and how long i was seizing for.Usually have a laugh about post-ictal antics though.

Last edited:
i think i mentioned this recently- i do remind my mates now and then to record one, but of course being mates they're usually busy clearing a space and stopping me bashing my head repeatedly.

i'm with crash on this- i know what one looks like, and i just ask how bad it was for my journal.

the info i really want is hard for them to reproduce just by mime so there's no that much point- though i really do want to see myself have one, just coz well, it's weird having something you do regularly but have never seen!

oh and daraH86- (welcome btw :) ) no worries there, it's all relative, noone on here will ever describe your type as being somehow tame...

...there'll allways be someone that has it worse anyway ;)

Last edited:
I have a friend who has been there for several partial/absence ones. And my son. I ask and they know by the vacant stare in my eyes and quiver in eyeball. And that i can't answer any questions or talk at all for a few minutes. I am aware of what's around me but i am so out-of-it in my de-ja-vu experience that i have no idea how long it lasts and i can't believe that it is noticeable because i think i sat perfectly still.
my T/C ones have all been alone or around strangers. I never asked the EMT what it looked like or 'who was on the street that saw me?' ALL except for one in March which happened at my Buddhist Temple while meditating. They called the ambulance. i see those people regularly but have been embarrassed to ask what i looked like. I sure wish to know though. Like; did i foam at the mouth? It is hard to ask. Why?
I also wish t]o know why it is so hard to admit that it happened. After a partial, my son or friend will say 'you just had one didn't you?' I always feel that i have to say NO, i just spaced out for a minute. its like a deep secret i don't want to tell. WHY?

Me, I know when most of my seizures are coming, 10-30 seconds, and when I know one is probably coming, I look for a place to be alone, to hide. So no, I ask no one about what my seizures look like. Having fallen down a full flight of stairs when a gran mal seizure hit me, I should really be trying to let family or fiends, if present, know one is probably coming. But the brain, while getting ready to shift away from my reality, tries to go and hide if possible.

Back
Top Bottom