How long does it take you to really recover from a tonic-clonic?

• I don't have t-c's

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • under 30 minutes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • the rest of the day

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • a day

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • a couple days

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • a week or longer

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I never really recover

Votes: 4 5.0%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score

I think it depends. It's individual and I think age might play a part in it. I found it took me longer to recover when I bit my tongue, I also put my back out in that same seizure it was 2-3 weeks before my body felt normal. I've also had a TC that only took me a few days to recover. I guess it all depends on if you injure yourself and where you are when it happens.

it's takes about a 10 days for me to feel almost normal again. I sometimes have flashbacks of bits and pieces of what happen, and that scares me. I don't like to go back to where it happen or think about what I was thinking at the time. does this sound like PSTD ? anyone else feel like that ?

Nelly- I have flashbacks also. Mine come with hallucinations of things that didn't really happen so I am never really sure if things happened or not in reality. Kinda a Deja Vu horrible thing. As the days go on I start to realize I have lost the day I had the seizure forever memory wise.

Hey- I'm not trying to question your diagnosis, but I have heard that what you're describing can be pretty similiar to pseudo seizures- basically they present the same way as Epilepsy but they aren't the same chemical reaction.

I very rarely have Tonic Clonics but from memory the tonic clonics I have had in the last 11 years (3 all up) it took me at less 1 - 2 days to fully recover after the seizure.

I would say a day. Depending on it. My Dad literally sleeps and sleeps. I sleep for a few hours and that's it. But I feel weak for the day. Then the next day I am back to my old self.

I'd say one day for my muscles to recover.. about a week for my tongue. emotionally sometimes a week or two. then start the process again..

anyone else fall into depression after a tc? happens to me every time.

Yes, it depends -- some of my seizures I was okay within a few hours, for others it took a month until I felt mentally and physically back to "normal." I addition to the degree of injury that occurs during the seizure, a big factor seems to be what my general health is like when the seizure occurs. If I'm already ill or dehydrated when the seizure hits, then the recovery period tends to be much longer.

Mine follows a pattern.
Day 1 - High dose of Percocet and assistance to get up and walk
Day 2 - High dose of Percocet and moving on my own
Day 3 - Percocet cut in half
Day 4 - No pain killers even though it still hurts

The tongue is normally just grazed so my ability to talk clearly is just random but not a big issue.
My memory for those three days is vague at best, I can watch a movie and never remember it. The only reason I know the routine is my spouse tells me about it the week after.

Definately depends on damage done/state i was in before, but normally takes about a day or so to get my head back if i've been lucky. During that time I can do simple stuff at a *very* slowed rate (i normally just stay at work) but memory will be shot...

More and more i'm disliking the physical after-effects, the slight muscle spasms feel very weird and of course the raked inside cheeks are sooo painfull :(

I have noticed though, that unless i've done something *really* major, i never seem to feel much pain on the same day- i've been walking around with broken ribs, and huge open cuts etc..

It's allways the next day or two when the pain hits me...

For me it really depends on how violent the seizure has been.Some i've been ok in a day then others it has taken a lot more time to recover.It's a hard question to answer,as every seizure is uniuqe,as are there outcomes.

Forgot to mention, if I am lucky and break nothing else on my body that is the best I do on recovering. Last time it took a year to fix all the other little things I messed up.

Last year, I had very bad TC. I woke up almost 2 days later and things really havent been the same. Foods I used to enjoy dont taste right anymore and things of that nature. Its a very unnerving experience...For any and all who share in this burden, Im sending you my love and healing energy...

I usually have CPS and they take at least a day or so for recovery. Most of the recovery involves sleeping a lot and bad headaches. When I do have tonic clonics, it's much of the same. But that all depends on if I don't hurt myself during a tonic clonic. Like biting my tongue, bruising my arms or legs, etc.

My last one was seven months ago and it took almost a week to recover to half of my normal level of function, but with every noticeable seizure I have, I feel like I lose a small part of myself. It may be because I'm never in a position to sleep it off immediately though, I just noticed this in recent years, and I only have a couple every couple of years. I still haven't recovered emotionally from this one.

I find it changes from one T/C to another.

My first T/C it took me 3 days to recover, my most recent took sleeping through the rest of the day (it was in the aft) and a good nights sleep.

My last t/c was 2 weeks ago and I only have them in my sleep...which is good because I don't injure myself, but also sucks to wake up to wet PJ's and bed sheets lol. It takes a couple days for my back and muscles to quit hurting and also for the headache and tinnitus to go away.

I myself generally feel better the next day, though my gf,i whom I live with, tells me it's usually 2-3 days till I start looking / being normal and back to my regular self.
Than again I've had some kick my ass tonic clonics that hospitalized me for a few days and left me pretty much out of it for a week.

Last edited:
It can take me several days to a week or longer to recover from a tonic- clonic.
If I've hurt myself it really takes a long time to recover.

Back
Top Bottom