Sponsored Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > Riva's Memorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Getting Comfortable

Send a message via Yahoo to danjen71

Unhappy So sorry its hard knowing how nice "Riva" was Me as a new member

Sorry to all family,friends,and members:
It was a big shock,and it makes me realize how fast things change.
You're all in my thoughts and prayers!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator / VNS Guru

Life is just a moment away from death. Don't allow yourself to be frozen with fear because you may have a disorder that can take your life at any time. Riva knew this and devoted her life to helping others. She tried every possible treatment from medication, to diet, from detox, to singing bowls, from exercise to yoga. Nothing stopped her and she shared and encouraged others to find their own "cure"
I am proud to say she was my friend. She died on my daughter's birthday. She was alone and had a seizure. Her husband rushed home from work when she didn't answer the phone.
She never let the fact that she had epilepsy stop her, it actually drove her and inspired her. The world was a better place when she was here.

http://www.vnsmessageboard.com

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
(Sir Winston Churchill, 1874-1965)

“You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's heaven on earth.”

Old 11-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Getting Comfortable

Send a message via Yahoo to danjen71
Thanks for replying it's hard for me because she shared what I had and
Supported me like I did her. We both had multiple types of seizures,and
It helps knowing their was someone like me who exactly understood me.
She always sent me encouraging emails,and said things to make me feel
Better because she said we were sisters in overcoming! She was special!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Venerable Voice of CWE

It makes us remember also that we are not as in control as we think. I understand.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Originally Posted by Birdbomb View Post:
Life is just a moment away from death. Don't allow yourself to be frozen with fear because you may have a disorder that can take your life at any time. Riva knew this and devoted her life to helping others. She tried every possible treatment from medication, to diet, from detox, to singing bowls, from exercise to yoga. Nothing stopped her and she shared and encouraged others to find their own "cure"
I am proud to say she was my friend. She died on my daughter's birthday. She was alone and had a seizure. Her husband rushed home from work when she didn't answer the phone.
She never let the fact that she had epilepsy stop her, it actually drove her and inspired her. The world was a better place when she was here.
While I did graduate from high school, it wasn't until I was 20, and my health ultimately stopped me from getting a college education. I failed twice.

When I was married, I ended up having a seizure alone. Because my (ex)wife just stood there n' watched, as if she had been watching a horror film on television.

While I am on an anti-convulsant that controls my E, it does nothing to help deal with the guilt I have. My guilt is from the knowledge that, not only can E kill a person, in my life, I have seen/heard of, people that died who were either younger than me and/or, they died from something a lot quicker.

When I was attending a tech school in 1992, the teacher's assistant who was the same age as me, was killed only a couple blocks from the house I was living in at that time, in a side-impact collision. His pickup truck was broadsided by a driver that ran a red light. Twenty years later, I can still picture him in the open casket.

The only thing that gives me joy after my fiance n' my kids(who I do not live with) is, when I can ride my racing bike.

Last edited by car05161967; 12-09-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator / Even Keel

Thanked 1,234 Times in 954 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Endless
Yep, we got a bum rap. So did a lot of people around us. Not fair. But be kind to yourself. It's normal to feel sad about things. When the sadness lingers for years, or it stops someone from enjoying life it might have slid into depression. That colors everything with blue-tinged glasses and a bunch of other symptoms. You may or may not have depression, but you may find it's worth at least a look.

Quote :
According to the U.S. National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), the main symptoms and signs of depression are the following:
  • persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
  • feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
  • feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
  • loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
  • decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down"
  • difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
  • insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
  • appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain
  • thoughts of death or suicide; suicide attempts
  • restlessness, irritability
  • persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=18543

Depression happens in 25% to 55% of people with epilepsy http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/interprob_depress. Most people who are depressed don't even know it. It happens so slowly they don't see the change.

Next time you see your neurologist please mention how you are feeling. The doctor can help, no matter what you are feeling or the cause of it.

<<<big hugs>>>
Old 12-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Originally Posted by Endless View Post:
Yep, we got a bum rap. So did a lot of people around us. Not fair. But be kind to yourself. It's normal to feel sad about things. When the sadness lingers for years, or it stops someone from enjoying life it might have slid into depression. That colors everything with blue-tinged glasses and a bunch of other symptoms. You may or may not have depression, but you may find it's worth at least a look.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=18543

Depression happens in 25% to 55% of people with epilepsy http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/interprob_depress. Most people who are depressed don't even know it. It happens so slowly they don't see the change.

Next time you see your neurologist please mention how you are feeling. The doctor can help, no matter what you are feeling or the cause of it.

<<<big hugs>>>
I am depressed, but I won't go on meds for it. Because it is situational. I know that I shouldn't feel guilty for all those that died in a shorter time and/or from things seemingly less serious. Maybe I feel over-sorry for them. In the words of the title of the tv show 'Life Goes On' and French phrase C'est la vie(Such is life) I try to find happy things in life. That is where my fiance, kids and bike come into play.

My main focus is a cyclist's right to ride on the road.