Another complex partial at work...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
Well, I had yet another complex partial at work today. This will be 10 seizures within the past month or two. I am really concerned about losing my position. It isn't the greatest job (call center), but I absolutely adore the people I work with. I've only known them for about six months and I consider them family.

My supervisors have been very nice in regards to my condition, but I know employers can only go so far before something has to be done. I guess the main worry is that because I've had so many in such a short amount of time one of two things will happen. I'll get fired and put on short term disability, or I'll get fired and not be able to find a job that will accommodate my 'needs'. I guess I'm just super nervous about what the future will bring.

Has anyone here lost their job because of E, and how does one deal with it? It's a huge blow not just financially, but mentally as well.

never been fired due to it but i really really understand your pain im going thru the exact same thing at work and its scaring the bjebbers out of me i love my job and the people they have said they wont fire me etc but cant help but think well what if they take my hours right down what if they just have no choice i am also scared of what the future will bring absolutely

Hi.
Sorry you had a complex partial at work. I can relate and not fun:e:
I'm also concerned about that too. I had a Tonic Clonic at work back in Oct 2012. I was a temp at the CO. Good news is that I applied for a file clerk postition and got it. I don't know if my Enployer knows of my condition ? I haven't mentioned it yet. not sure if I want to?? I do wear a medical bracelet.
it doesn't look like one. didn't want to be labled.
I had a Tonic Clonic last Sat and still not feeling like me. my tongue still hurts
(boohoo).

skyfire, are you in the US? certain states have laws against medical discrimination and employment, be sure to check it out. and if you're in canada it's a country-wide thing, would be hard here for an employer to actually fire someone b/c of seizures. more understandable if you work directly with the public all day or are in a job which is a safety risk (roofer, chef), but from the sounds of it you're not.
you mainly are at a desk and on the phone right? i'd look into it and have all your rights etc. written down and ready in case they come to you one day and tell you to go.
if your szs are picking up like crazy then i assume you're working on meds with your neuro? that's a phase and your employer can just bloody wait until things even out.

I live in Virginia, which is a 'Right To Work' state. I'm in front of a computer and on the phones all day (call center operations). I went to the medical department at work, and I have to have my doctor fill out ADA paperwork, just to see if I need any special accommodations.

As of right now, my neurologist had said that my main trigger is sleep deprivation. We are working with my meds. Right now I'm on 600 MG of Lamictal and 1500 MG of Keppra per day.

so i will tell you my story of today i had a seizure today at work and was at my wits end so i quit i went to my manger and said thats it im leaving over it he asks why i told him over letting others down over having seizures at work and worried of what it may mean for me he said shit happens you fall down get up and work you are a good worker and all my worrying was just that me worrying you see its not who you are its not how many times you fall and get up its your work ethic that is the only thing that matters if your job is as good as you have it if your employers are as supportive as they have shown you so far the only thing you have to fear is fear itself

Your thread come just as I am getting back to work after a 2 wks off. Had 3 T/C's and I honestly could not keep track of the other seizures in about a week. I told them when I got hired, it makes it easier. Now I have been with my co for 2 1/2 yrs. Everyone knows and they have had me teach seizure first aid to my co-workers.
I have been fired because of seizures but of course the company at the time gave different excuses. I was so angry and hurt but turned out that I found a better job within 2 wks. Silver lining and all that cr@p LOL
I don't remeber who's signature it is but I very much live by the saying "Fall down 8 times get up 9"

Skyfire - I had many cp's at my last job. they were pretty understanding, but like qtown said there's laws against discrimination here. so I'm thankful for that.

I really had to educate people at that place, most had no idea what epilepsy or seizures are all about.

Whenever a cp would start I was able to walk into the back stairwell and wait it out. they were understanding but were concerned as I was missing almost 1/5th of my time being home with seizures, and I was paid on salary..

I hope your seizures improve soon,.

I'm having a seizure at work at least once a week, lately. Everyone tells me it's no problem, they are wonderfully understanding. But I, too, worry all the time.

Plus, I'm stuck in a low-level, boring office job while I'd much rather be doing something truly interesting, like teach. But I don't dare take the responsibility of being alone with a classroom full of young teens all day, when I know I'm guaranteed to have seizures on a regular basis.

It sucks, and no matter how many times they tell you not to worry about it, you still will. But it's not something they can fire you over.

The ADA is a federal law and applies to ALL states, regardless if that state is a Right to Work state or not. If the business employs 15 or more workers, it still must adhere to ADA federal laws.

The US postal service ask on application if you have seizures or have ever had one. I had my husband just walk out the door with 2 in high school to finish raising. Just laid off from job. So on app for PO I answered no. Recalled back to my other job daughter in college decided to wrk both jobs. Had seizures under control. Had a week where I went to wrk Sunday night and did not actually go to bed until I got off Tuesday night at 11:00. Missed meds a couple of times. Had a grand mal at the PO head hit a metal corner. In ER had staples in head. Went back to wrk. Had 3 managers pull me in an office and without knowing at that time what I put on the app told me that I couldn't wrk there anymore because I held up there operation for an hour. I was eventually walked out because they found out. I did fight it. They came back let me resign and paid me some. Now since April I have had two at wrk and I'm afraid again of losing job.

I just lost my job at the beginning of this month due to seizures. They acted compassionately and had constantly fed me the line about its ok, this won't affect your job. Then one day after a particularly bad seizure, I got a call saying I'm not needed anymore. No official reason given. But I know it was the seizures. This is a right to work state so its nearly impossible to prove. Still looking for work and am now considering disability. I hope it works out better for you but beware. I'd keep meticulous documentation on what was said and who said what.

I spoke with my supervisor the other day about everything, because I'm downright paranoid. Luckily, she has been like a second mother and has been taking good care of me.

I asked her straight up if I'll lose my position. She said that she would go to the employee health board and fight tooth and nail to keep me, but ultimately it is up to the EHB. I did have my neurologist fill out the ADA paperwork, which will also help my case. I have been jotting every single detail down too. My carpel tunnel isn't too happy with me, but I think I'll be fine.

The good part about everything is that I'm being interviewed for a promotion in the back office, which is a HUGE plus because I won't have to deal with high call volumes (stress). I haven't had any at work since my last one, which is also putting me in a good place. I will update once more develops.

Thank you all for your support, and your input!

Sorry I have been absent! Work has received the ADA paperwork, and their decision is as follows: "If you have an episode while at work, depending on the severity, we will grant you one to two days off."

Skyfire, how did it go with the interview for back office? My fingers are crossed!

The interview went well! Took an ativan so I wasn't so fidgety, hehe. I just got the rejection letter today, but I knew I wouldn't get it, only because I've only been there seven months. They promoted people who have been working there for four to five years which is understandable. :)

Back
Top Bottom