Pure goodness

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
What do you see from being epileptic? I see mainly good. It's the reason I don't pay for gas. The reason I am given extra time on exams throughout college. The reason I've met some extremely nice people in my support meeting. The reason I'm on this forum. The excuse why I have a bad memory, I would anyway. The reason I can legally buy marijuana. The excuse of why I'm so tired and often don't converse with my Dad, because he just thinks I'm tired not that I'm ignoring him. Lastly, without a warning it's the reason I don't fear death.

Nice šŸ˜Ž

Although it "drives" me crazy (haha) that I CAN'T drive, I often times laugh because I have gotten out of going to run errands for my mom due to it. Whether it be running out of bread or milk. Also with my dad's condition I KNOW I would've been asked to take him to his appointments AND get his medications and stuff. Plus my mom HATES to fill up here own gas tank on her car and would randomly ask me to do it if I wasn't going to be with her when it was going to run out (ie we'd be at the house and she'd just ask me to go fill it up for her). So she's learned (again) how to pump gas :lol: Other instances where my mom wanted to do something, but she was the only one who could drive so I told her okay, but then she didn't want to get dressed for the occasion or whatever so she said never mind lol.

I suppose it's good. But I have worked through my epilepsy rather than sit at home with it. Employers aren't too understanding of it and being disabled. My last employer didn't care one bit about the time I took off from work. It pretty much sucks.

On the other hand, I now get to try and apply for disability and move in with family and not work anymore. So there's that. And I will go through bankruptcy with medical disability on my record (hopefully?).

I don't know, my epilepsy has caused more bad than good.

Over the yrs. I've tried new seizure meds that haven't been tried by anyone so Drs. can see if it will help others. I got to go to a boarding school while in high school so I learned to become independent at a young age. I've been working in Special Education so many of the students that have neuro problems or seizures will talk to me or I will give parents info about what they may want to do. I've also been asked to teach college students about neuroscience and what seizures are like along with the medical marijuana I've been using over the yrs. Personally I think having seizures has made me stronger emotionally and I started writing poetry when I was just a kid. Here's wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Last edited:
Personally I think having seizures has made me stronger emotionally
Im the same Porkette, my seizure returned when I was 24 and I feel the epilepsy has made me both stronger, more determined and little more independent. Sure I have limitations and boundaries but I donā€™t let that stop me.

Epilepsy has made me less self-conscious -- after seizing a few times in public, it's hard to get anxious about what folks might think of me in other public situations. And I think/hope it's made me more empathetic.

Back
Top Bottom