Coping With Epilepsy VNS Message Board
Free Advertisement

Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > Lemonade Stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013, 04:39 AM
Weaving the Community Fabric

Slight medical emergency...

My Keppra XR (generic and brand name) is on back order. I haven't taken one since Thursday. I had a huge amount of myoclonic jerks yesterday. It was like I'd never been treated. I've been up all night. I only have seizures in the sunlight, but I'm wide awake with severe anxiety and some nausea.

I called in sick to work on Saturday for not feeling well either. I assume I'm having withdrawals, as I've been on Keppra XR regularly since 2010.

I don't know what to do. My pharmacy said they should have it in today or tomorrow. I'm afraid to drive to work but don't want to call in sick again. I've only been there since April, and I don't want them to look poorly on me.

Should I tell them what's going on? I drive about an hour each way to work, and I just feel very uncomfortable about it. I've never had a seizure driving before, but I'm afraid withdrawals might exacerbate the problem.

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:20 AM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 3,165 Times in 2,056 Posts
Can you get a few days supply of Keppra from another Pharmacy? Or call your neurologist and ask for some samples as they usually have some. One should never stop taking an anti-epileptic drug abruptly as doing so can bring on bad seizures.

Tell those at your workplace what is going on. And don't drive until you get your meds regulated again.

Hope you get your meds soon.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 AM

Thanks Cint. I called another pharmacy and it was back ordered for them too. My pharm told me I should call before I'm out, but I'm on auto refill so I didn't think that was something I needed to do...

My neurologist was closed Friday but I'm going to call today.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Joined the Party

slight medical emergency

I agree with Cint. If you are having daytime seizures, you do not need to be driving to work. You should tell your employer what is going on even though I usually don't recomend that. Better to let them know than to have them think that you just don't want to work. I hate to say it , but employer's will hold your epilepsy against you, but you have to consider what could happen if you have a seizure while you are driving. Keep calling different pharmacie's til you find one that has Keppra.

Last edited by k35k35k35; 09-23-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks all.

Great news - Walgreens has it! No local Target does, CVS doesn't, but Walgreens does. I'm thrilled. They said they'll have it in an hour and my boyfriend is taking me.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Katie View Post:
Thanks all.

Great news - Walgreens has it! No local Target does, CVS doesn't, but Walgreens does. I'm thrilled. They said they'll have it in an hour and my boyfriend is taking me.
You shouldn't go without taking Keppra XR, and I complain about my pharmacy when they run out. Usually I notify them a week before it's about to run out, so they have enough time to order it and fill it. You should ask your primary physician or neurologist for a lot of samples, so you can keep them around if you ever have to go a few days without them.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator / Thank You Queen

Thanked 7,341 Times in 5,421 Posts
Katie that's terrific that you've found a supply for the Keppra. But you should chew out your regular pharmacy -- they blew it, and could have put you at risk of serious injury by letting the supply of Keppra lapse. In addition, you should ask your doc about getting a second back-up supply of Kppra to have on hand in case you need to bridge a similar gap in the future. (My neurologist has given me a month's back-up to have with me when I travel). You might also ask about getting a small rX of Ativan to keep on hand. It can provide short-term seizure relief when you don't have access to your regular meds.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:23 PM
CWE Supporter

Thanked 1,463 Times in 1,061 Posts
Call my refill in at least a week before my pescription is due. This way if the pharmacy may not have the med and order it then I should be ok.

I don't know how long the pharmacy fills the pescription before it's due but maybe look into not being on auto refill this way you can call them in when ever you want.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:48 PM

Thanks all! I think I'm going to leave it at Walgreens. It's only $1.25 more a month to fill it there. Target fills auto refills 6 days before you're out. This isn't the first time it's happened, but it was with a different med last time. Still, this is dangerous.

I think I'm back on track. I had one myoclonic jerk today, but that's it. Hopefully it just keeps getting better. I hadn't had one in a really long time. Sigh!

The pharmacist at Target was very nice and understanding, but I've really had nothing but problems from them at multiple locations... Better to pay more for better service!