Dilantin Shortage

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

The shortage is limited to the 30mg capsules. The 100mg capsules are at normal availability.

Don't know whether to be happy or sad. Happy that my 200 + 300 mg are not running short, but sad that I am on those instead of little 30s.

Well up here in Vancouver,BC there seems to be a shortage of 100mg tablets. Pharmacist gave me enough for a month but after that I would have to take the 50mg size. I have never heard of such a thing as this. How does something like this happen. If they can not get enough supply, I might have to go on another drug. Now we all now the ramification's of changing prescription and I am not willing to go down that road.

Is there any one who has a good reason for this to be happening because I would like to know? I am a bit choked about this because I drive a lot and do not want to be told not to drive while we adjust your medication.

Sorry for the rant.

Pfizer says it is a "manufacturing issue" that has led to the shortage, but they also indicate that the supply should return to normal levels in September.

just a heads up, the following article says that some generics and low-cost AEDs are being discontinued or no longer manufactured. These include Dilantin, Phenobarbital, Primidone and Clobazam.

Drug Shortage

It figures it would be the cheap ones...

I was just prescribed Clobazam (Frisium). This med took a chunk of change out of my pocket. My insurance couldn't cover it and I had to pay 160 bucks for 50 pills. It is only approved in NYC and Canada. I'm not sure what the demand for the drug is, but as far as I know it is fairly experimental in the US waiting for approval from the FDA. I can tell you from my personal experience with the drug, though. It really put's you down. I guess Canada loves it if it's in short supply or the companies are doing poorly.

It might be in short suppl in Canada, but you never know how the drug companies work.

The rest of those drugs seem really old. I was on dilantin 8 years ago. it didn't seem to help me with much, but increasing my hunger. nom nom noms lol.

I also use to take Phenobarbital which was determined useless for me. I took that about 16 years ago.

Clobazam only just got approved last month in the U.S. for seizure treatment, but probably won't be readily available here until January. So it's weird that it would be approved just by NYC -- are you sure about that?

It's a benzodiazepine, so it can have that knock-out punch, as well as some addiction risks.

I'm positive. It is sitting in front of me and you can definitely tell it is shipped from Canada because all of the instructions are in French or German. lol

My neurologist went over the details of it's approval and how it's only available in NYC. I don't know what makes that possible, but if California can get away with selling weed for epileptics I suppose NYC can get away with selling Frisium (clobazam) for epileptics.

The drug has also been approved in Europe for quite some time now. It has just taken the USA a while to pick it up I suppose... Foreign trade stuff i guess.

On a side note: It is very difficult to find any recent, up to date and accurate information online. The internet is full of people trying to sell you fake products (including Frisium) and give you false information. It is best just to talk to your doctor for your med updates. FDA.gov is my resource for any questions concerning my meds.

Last edited:
Okay, I understand -- the Clobazam is Canadian, but NYC has some sort of dispensation to import it. Let us know how it works for you!

Back
Top Bottom