2nd surgery or live with epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

finalpoet

Stalwart
Reaction score
The title says it. I had a surgery in the brain stem to save my life and I'm still recovering. A second brain surgery wouldn't save my life but taking out these angiomas would make it so I don't have epilepsy anymore. The angiomas are on the surface far from the brain stem (I forgot which lobe). Now a second surgery would mean no epilepsy, I could drink coffee, alcohol, no meds. Is it worth the risk tho?

Firstly - You will always have epilepsy, surgery does not cure our seizures but is another treatement to help control them. Some people who have brain surgery may be seizure free but will still have to take some medication even if it is a lower dose.

Secondly - Have you spoken to an epiologist or surgeon to discuss the pros & cons of the 2nd surgery. EG - the risks involved?

Hi finalpoet,

Before you go in for a 2nd surgery you need to talk with your Dr. about any risks and what the chances are of your seizures stopping or even decreasing. This is what I did before I had my 2nd surgery. The surgery only reduced my seizures but they are a lot less and I'm on a lot less seizure meds also. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't mention but I agree I will look further into the risks and benefits. Surgery seldom is something to rush into.

Back
Top Bottom