Amygdala? That was unexpected...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

qtowngirl

CWE Supporter/E Hater
Supporter
Reaction score
Today is day 10 in the unit and just one seizure so far. But they've said if they only do get the one they can work with it, though one or two more would be nice. And I'm trying!!!!!!!! Off meds for five days, sleeping about five hours at night with no naps during the day. I feel high!!
Had an MRI w/contrast for the first time yesterday, and it gave answers that changed the direction a bit. Wish they had ordered the contrast two years ago, would have avoided speculation. Now they're not so sure about it being Hippocampal Sclerosis. It is actually my amygdala that's shot, and tho there is a very precise lesion there they're unsure of what, saying that there's a chance it could even be a low-grade tumor (GASP). She was quick to tell me not to freak out at that word tho, if it is a tumor it would be benign and stay benign, and possibly could have been there since the womb. Wow, don't think I'll be telling mom that part...!
Neither amygdala nor tumor had been mentioned ever, so it's been an eye-opening 24 hours to say the least. She figures the hippocampus may also have a slight bit of damage just b/c the two are basically on top of one another and a simple partial will involve both within milliseconds, but doesn't know how much would have to be cut out until they got in there. So, remove the amygdala and a bit of hippocampus. Sounds fun.
The one nice thing about the news is that it being the amygdala explains why my partials are fear-based. Having a reason like that is so, well, unnerving, but so securing as well. In 18 years I have never known why they're fear based, and unfortunately many of us never do get a reason. The cause of the damage is unknown, but having an answer as to why the type of simple partial does bring some relief. Any answer is a good answer.
That's the short version for now guys, all in all it's agreed, even preliminary, that I'd be a great surgical candidate. Seen a psychiatrist today, so all that's left on the list now is possibly having to take the WADA (oh pls no), which they'll decide on during their surgical meeting next month.
Thank you brain, I don't quite know what to say.

Well, that's something. A little piece of the puzzle, right? And if surgery's in the picture then it sounds pretty promising.

BTW, amygdala is just a fancy way of saying almond. Fun fact to use or lose...

Well that is good they got some answers. That is some heavy news to get though. Good thing that they believe surgery will be an option.

Its great to hear form you Q! I'm really glad you're getting some answers. Have you decided whether you would go through with the surgery or are you waiting for more info? I imagine you pretty sick of sitting in your hospital room...

Wow, just one seizure in 10 days?! When I was in for testing, within 10 days I'd had lots of seizures, CP's & TC's.

Some answer is better than no answer. At least you're a possible candidate for surgery.
I had the WADA test, and no it isn't a lot of fun, but it is worth it for determining which side controls my speech. I have a damaged hippocampus deep in the brain, so that is why my memory is so bad.

So it sounds like you may be having an Amygdalohippocampectomy?
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1874484-overview

It is good to hear from you.

Well that was a heck of birthday present, good to get answers.

Good to hear from you! Bet you're ready to come home, huh?
But at least you're getting some answers; keep us posted.

Its great to hear form you Q! I'm really glad you're getting some answers. Have you decided whether you would go through with the surgery or are you waiting for more info? I imagine you pretty sick of sitting in your hospital room...

Hi P, thanks.
Nope not going to start making the surgery decision until more things are finalized. First off the 'team' has to meet to fully agree that we should go ahead with surgery; everyone so far (epileptologists, neuropsychiatrist and neuropsychologist) think that's the direction we'll be going, however the key person, the neurosurgeon, hasn't weighed in yet. He's away on vacation so have to wait and see what his thoughts are as well.
And yes, getting sick of it. It's actually not so much the room but the probes and being leashed to the bed. My head is SO itchy and I have a few welts on my face where the probes sat for four days before my last probe change. So yeah, sore, tired, and more than a bit irritated that it's been 10 days without one. This never ever ever happens at home.
'Murphy's Law' is a very common phrase on this ward.

Yeah lots and lots off luck,my dear!!! Lets all keep everything crossed for ya,catch ya soon!

Take care.. so happy you are receiving some news/answers
Mary

Hi Qtown,

Good to hear from you & see that you are getting some answers.
So yeah, sore, tired, and more than a bit irritated that it's been 10 days without one. This never ever ever happens at home.
It does suck when our brain decides to 'behave' itself during a Video EEG & not have any seizures. I know when I had my Video EEG I only managed to have some auras even though my meds reduced by a large amount & I was also sleep depriving myself.

'Murphy's Law' is a very common phrase on this ward.
My Neuropsych also once said me only having a couple of auras while in for my VEEG was a bit like murphys law.

My head is SO itchy and I have a few welts on my face where the probes sat for four days before my last probe change.
:agree:
The itchy head is really annoying. I'm sure you will be glad when they take the electrodes of so you can have a nice shower. Getting the goo out of your hair is hard though.

Hey Qtown. I think its great you might be getting some answers you've been seeking. And itchy towards the end of mine I thought I was going to pull the leads off because it was driving me so crazy. I have a scar on my forehead from the lead that was placed there. its just a reminder of how disappointing that week was for me. I had a WADA test along time ago before my surgery. Its scary but nothing to worry about. The only thing I really remember from it was when they shot the dye in I can remember feeling it go from one side of my face to the other. kinda weird! I'm thinking of you and hoping you continue getting answers!

First off the 'team' has to meet to fully agree that we should go ahead with surgery; everyone so far (epileptologists, neuropsychiatrist and neuropsychologist) think that's the direction we'll be going, however the key person, the neurosurgeon, hasn't weighed in yet

It sounds like your have some great guidance by your side. Whatever the decission you make, it will be the right one, and never look back, only toward the future :D

My head is SO itchy and I have a few welts on my face where the probes sat for four days before my last probe change.

I can't imagine how horrible those are with long hair, never mind wearing them for week or so. More power to you.

It sounds like everything is headed in the right direction! Keep us updated and good luck!!

Oh man! That stupid amygdala of mine has been misbehaving all day long. I wish I could have mine removed/fixed/controlled. I sometimes wish that my seizures did not involve emotion even if it meant unconsciousness. I hate these seizures that affect the limbic lobe, with fear, the most.

Back
Top Bottom