The Good, The Bad, and the Tingly

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Is it ironic that I'll get a little bit of freedom tomorrow, the day the world is supposedly going to end? That would be my luck, right!? Haha. 9 days so far in the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit/Video EEG... 1 more sleep, and I'm outta here! I've got this!

To say it's been interesting would be an understatement. While I knew what to expect because I did this back in 2001, I didn't remember much about it at all. It certainly wasn't something I thought I'd experience again, but I am thankful for the opportunity, and anxious to begin the next chapter.

The good news: They got plenty of seizures recorded. I was an over-achiever of sorts, being given Ativan on more than one occasion to slow them down. So far, it appears that the seizures are coming from the right temporal lobe again, on which I had surgery in 2001... so it's not a "new" issue.

The bad news: It's the right temporal lobe again... and it appears that a second surgery is a very real likelihood. Most days, I can't believe that I'm going down this path, again. My follow-up isn't scheduled until February, and waiting isn't always my strength, but I will try to be patient.

But something weird happened while here, and I wonder if it's happened to anyone else, since the docs haven't been able to give me an answer yet. The night after I was taken off my Dilantin, I noticed my left hand getting tingly, like it was asleep. I hadn't been sitting or laying on it, nothing was cutting off circulation. The nurse noticed that I was doing moving my hand in a funny way on the camera, thought I was having the seizure, but finally convinced her that I wasn't, and told her what I felt. The next morning, I had my first seizure in the unit. That was on Saturday, and it's still numb and tingly! I told the neurologist when he came by on Monday, said he might have a theory, but didn't/wouldn't elaborate... and I haven't seen him since. My meds were restarted this morning, so I'll be curious to see if the feeling comes back and tingling goes away soon, but has this happened to anyone else when taken off their meds? It's driving me crazy!! Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Congrats on being an overachiever, sorry that it means more surgery is likely... :(

Since it's your left hand, it's most likely that the tingling is seizure-related (from the right temporal focus).

Thanks Nakamova. The neurologist actually made me laugh a bit. He had me hold out my hand with my eyes closed, and tapped a few times where the palm of my hand meets wrist to see if it got worse. He said "I know it's a dickhead thing to do, but I want to see if it could be symptoms of carpal tunnel" ... but agreed that was highly unlikely because it happened within a day of being taken off meds.

Thank you again.

I'm glad that you were able to be pushed forward to get your EMU sooner than you originally thought. I am so sorry to hear that you will most likely require another surgery. That probably is exactly the answer you didn't want to hear...
I'm glad that your neurologist was able to make you laugh at least!
It's frustrating when they don't clue you in to their "theories" but the future will probably all reveal itself soon.

2ndchances -
Glad that you were an 'overachiever' & the Video EEG was able to pick up some seizure activity. Not so good news about the possibility of having to have surgery again.

The good news: They got plenty of seizures recorded. I was an over-achiever of sorts, being given Ativan on more than one occasion to slow them down. So far, it appears that the seizures are coming from the right temporal lobe again, on which I had surgery in 2001... so it's not a "new" issue.
2ndchances,
When you had your surgery the 1st time were they unable to remove all the damage which was causing the seizure activity?

You probably seen my posts about how I had surgery on my left temporal lobe in March 2011. I have a good friend who also had surgery on her left temporal lobe but her surgery was in July 2011 & was at a different hospital to me. I haven't had any seizures or auras since my surgery, my friend who had her surgery in the July still has nightmare auras but not as often as it was before surgery.

This friend & I often discuss our surgeries & compare stories. My friend seems to think that I will probably never have any seizures (not even auras) again & she probably won't have any more complex partials again because the part of our brain where the seizure activity was coming from was removed.
I told my friend that we can't say that we will never have a seizure again because we don't know what will happen in the future & I'm sure it's possible either one of us could have a seizure again.
I was telling my epilepsy nurse about the conversation I had with my friend about if we would ever have a seizure again & I said that I may sound negative but I just can't say I'll never have a seizure again (although I hope I can remain seizure free). My epilepsy nurse said she didn't think it was negative & they have had surgery patients go years without seizures then the seizures returned. My epilepsy nurse told me that every day that we can go seizure free is a good day :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom