Neurologist talking about surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I saw a new neurologist today, and she was very helpful. She said there isn't really a way to capture my episodes on an EEG because they are too infrequent, but she said the is concrete evidence of nerve damage in my eye (she saw this with a quick eye examination) and told me that I really need to find a way to shrink my pituitary gland because I could develop vision problems or even blindness.

I told her I was taking medication for it and she suggested that I up the dosage of that, and I told her I had just reduced it (with the doctor's permission) because it was causing me to gain weight. Then she suggested I see a neurosurgeon to discuss the possibility of surgery or radiation.

So: live with the possibility of developing cushing's syndrome from my medication or get surgery? Those are kind of my options...

Also she said I might want to try switching medications to Lamictal. I'm currently on tegretol and neurontin.

She does sound helpful, and on top of things.
Did she say why you should switch to lamictal? Just curious.

We're going to talk further when I go back for an emg to check the functionality of the nerves in my left arm (I've been having neuropathy since I started having seizures). I think Lamictal was just the first thing that came to mind because she doesn't want to put me on Dilantin or phenobarbital because I already have cerebellar atrophy.

Edit: she wants to switch meds because mine haven't been very effective.

Back
Top Bottom