Neuroma scars after temporal resection

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm curious... has anyone had neuroma scars after a temporal resection and if so, what has been done to resolve the matter?

I had a left temporal resection done in 1995 and we thought all was okay but unfortunately what has happened is not exactly all as planned. I've ended up getting scar build up (neuroma) from the surgery which has been causing migraines, chronic migraines and they have been building with intensity over the years.

Now I am looking at going back into the neurosurgeon to have these things removed due to the intense pain they are causing. As of now, the left side of my head is in extreme pain constantly and it will not stop. What I have found most interesting is the area of the pain is all along the scar line.

Due to this I am having trouble functioning and getting any type of work done for my writing nor can I look for work which is quite frustrating. At any rate, I was curious to know if there is anyone else who has experienced this type of thing with scar build up and how they have managed it before going into the doctor.

I have tried multiple things (ice, heat, pain medication) and nothing seems to work so if there is something else I'd like to know what it is.

Will the new surgery also leave a scar, or is there away they can minimize the scarring this time around?

Will the new surgery also leave a scar, or is there away they can minimize the scarring this time around?

what the doc is gonna do is freeze the nerve endings to prevent regrowth if that makes sense. I was speaking with someone who could look back at the summary (archive) notations which the neurosurgeon wrote on my visit and give me info on the options that we could go with; alcohol or freezing.

Alcohol would work but it will not stop the neuroma from reformation in the same place or in another. The freezing of the nerve will actually stop the nerve itself from regrowth which will in essence put an end to the neuroma formations themselves.

In this type of situation, there will be no type of scar build up as there will be no type of scar happening, the nerve end will basically crystallize if I understand the freezing process correctly. There may be some signs of pain but far from where it could be once the freezing procedure has taken place.

I will share more detail once I have gotten back home and settled.

Back
Top Bottom