Nightmares after surgery?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tinyfrogs

New
Reaction score
Please forgive me if I asked this already I can't remember. I had brain surgery in September 2012 to remove a colloid cyst from the 3rd ventricle because it was causing hydrocephalus. Ever since the surgery I've had nightmares about my head being opened in every way imaginable. I still have pain across the top of my head where the staples were. I've had it checked twice and they say it looks fine, nothing wrong. I had another MRI done to make sure and that came back good too. I talked to the surgeon's assistant and she said it is possible to have ptsd after any kind of surgery. I think that is probably what these dreams are but I think they are being triggered by the pain I feel on the outside of my head. I thought it would go away by now. I just wondered has anyone else has had this stuff happen after surgery?

That must be so scary and I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I haven't had brain surgery. I do, however, have weird vivid dreams from my lamictal. Are you on a new med since the operation?

I hope it goes away soon. ***hugs***.

Psych,

I had brain surgery in March 2011, I was lucky enough to have a good recovery & am currently over 2 years seizure free.

I have always had strange dreams but never had any nightmares about my surgery so I can imagine it must be really scary.

Do you have a neuropsychologist or neuropsychiatrist who you can talk to?
I have a neuropsychologist & she has been a great support to me for the last 2 1/2 years - from the months leading up to the surgery, while recovering from surgery & right up to now even though it's been 2 years since my surgery. If I am feeling down or have any concerns I usually email my neuropsych & she gets straight back to me with some advice.

I hope things start to get better & the nightmares eventually stop.

Hi Psyche:

What you are experiencing is completely normal. I have had 4 brain surgeries based on the fact that on 11/11/05, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor. This is how I became an epileptic. I used to have such severe anxiety of what had and was happening to me that I used to have to take Valium daily. Like you, I also had nightmares. It is the brain's way of dealing with your unconscious fear. I used to go through my days acting like everything was fine when deep down I knew I was faking to make my family/friends/myself feel better. I would have such horrible nightmares I would wake up screaming! It wasn't until, I started talking about my fears not with my family (my mother to this day still cannot verbalize without crying), but with my Oncologist about my nightmares/fears. It wasn't until then that they stopped (because I was no longer suppressing them).
As for the pain in your head - totally normal. My last surgery was 11/27/12 and I still have pain in certain places as well as numbness. When they cut into your head, they are cutting through many nerve endings and the bone also takes a while to knit back together (which can also be painful).
Well, I wish you all of the best, try vocalizing your fears or create a journal this way perhaps the nightmares will stop (like mine did). You can write me anytime that you would like if you have any other questions.
~Kim

I want to say thank you to everyone. (Thought I did but got a name change on here and guess I forgot to come back here oops.)

Kim, I'm sorry you had to go through that too. Just knowing some pain even after a year is normal does help. My nightmares aren't gone but they have started changing, and are less often.

Back
Top Bottom