[Research] 1 in 5 Neurologists unaware of some drug info

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't really think that's too surprising considering that the way things are set up the vast majority of doctors information regarding medications is gotten from pharmaceutical salespeople.

I have to say that I am thrilled to see that John Hopkins has done this study. Hopefully it will at least get people to think about more functional ways of conveying accurate & updated information.

From the article said:
The researchers found that 80 percent of respondents knew that the FDA had newly warned that the risk of suicide with newer drugs is 4.3 per 1,000, double what had previously been believed. Seventy percent said they counseled patients about the risk.

Ignoring for the moment the bits about risks being double, and 20% not knowing about it, does that read to anyone else like 80% knew about it but only 70% told their patients? WTF?!

Your local pharmacist is likely more knowledgeable about the drugs you are bring prescribed. We also live in an age where folks with internet access can look up the same info that doctors and pharmacists see on sites like drugs.com

Amen to that. I've literally been in my docs office asking side effect questions and he pulls out his phone and is looking things up.. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, "yeah, I already did that and here is what it says.. now I want YOUR opinion!"

Back
Top Bottom