A really unusual seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jade05

Reaction score
Yesterday morning, I became aware I was lifting myself off the kitchen floor. I stood up. I didn't realise what had happened. Usually my seizures, that I have had for years, are just blackouts and last at the most about 5 minutes. Although I feel ill for the rest of the day. After I got myself up I had a huge ostrich size bump on the left side of my head mainly on the top and back, my backside was painful and my neck felt like I had whiplash. My kitchen floor has tiles and they are hard. Today I am finding it hard to sit down with the pain in my left buttock, my neck is so painful and although the swelling on my head is going down, I am in shock that something like this has happened. I am wondering if I have had some sort of different kind of epileptic seizure?

It sounds like you may have had a gran mal. With the symptoms you are describing I would highly recommend you get to an ER to make sure you don't have any internal injuries such as a broken bone.

Good luck, God bless and keep up up on how you are doing.

Hi Jade,
As Clovis mentioned you may have had a grand mal seizure or it could have been a drop seizure. I had a drop seizure a couple of times. I was fine and then the next thing I came out of it and found myself on the floor, come to find out my drug level was low and this is what caused the seizure for me. Call your Dr. and let them know what happened then ask for a blood test to be done to check your drug level. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

As Porkette & Clovis have said, have it checked out. It is possible for seizure types to change over time. I've had simple partials since childhood. I suddenly had 3 or 4 tonic clonics when I was 14--none since. About 20 years ago, I began having complex partials, & no matter which AED I take, I start having breakthroughs within a short time.

As Porkette & Clovis have said, have it checked out. It is possible for seizure types to change over time. I've had simple partials since childhood. I suddenly had 3 or 4 tonic clonics when I was 14--none since. About 20 years ago, I began having complex partials, & no matter which AED I take, I start having breakthroughs within a short time.

Hi yes, I've had partial seizures for around 10 years and i'm used to them. I know when I've had one, I feel really lousy afterwards all day, headache, shivering and have to have a blanket over me but my face is boiling hot, really strange symptoms. With the grand mal as you have mentioned, this was so different, although the actual seizure was so much more physically serious, my symptoms weren't as bad as after a partial, I don't get the headache, the shivering or the boiling hot face, but feel like I've been in a car crash, I really can't work that out. Can anyone explain this to me?

After I have a minor seizure my speech is very messed up for servers hours. Meaning I don't use contractions, have any inflection in my speech, just a flat tone and I have a lot of trouble finding words when I speak. I am also wrung out and weak.

After a gran mal I am usually very disoriented, don't know my husband's name or our dogs names, etc. But my speech is normal. I do feel very sore and achy all over too. Sometimes the after effects just last a couple hours, sometimes days. My husband also says after I come out of the seizure but before I become aware of things I can be quite a handful. Wanting to get up constantly, asking questions over and over etc. I am also quite scared when I do finally start coming around.

Also no matter what kind of seizure I am going to have I am sometimes very cold even if it is in the 80's in here.

Back
Top Bottom