[Info] All Disease and Health Begins in the Gut

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

An essay in Science Times on Jan. 16 about those risks overstated the number of adverse reactions to supplements reported in the database.

The database has no category for poisoning incidents, so that number is not known.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/06/science/06dietcxn.html

They might have initially been overstated but even according to the correction you posted, there have been deaths from supplements (not to mention the exposures & adverse reactions). That is exactly my point since I was replying to when MarkyMark said
. How many people die per year because they took the vitamin c or b complex their alternative practitioner said they should take.
I wonder if Pharmaceutical companies advertise in the NY Times.

You always seem to think that when someone contradicts you it’s a conspiracy. I find that very amusing lol.

I see nothing discrediting anything I said which was… that vitamin & mineral deficiencies are not very common in North America.
Actually people in North America very rarely have such deficiencies.

-Regarding your “discreditation”- one link defines malnutrition but gives no statistics as to how common it is or if it’s common at all.

- The next link says deficiencies are common in developing countries & CAN (not do) happen in developed countries. It does talk about the possibility of it causing ocular disease though. Again, no reference to how common it is.

-One link talks of all the studies since 1950 and only in Mexico says that only 10% of children HAD (past tense) deficiencies and says nothing of how common they are NOW. The only one here that says how common they were talks in the past tense & is in Mexico.

-Another link theorizes that deficiencies CAN (as in might) lead to DNA damage or cancer but again does not say anything about how common deficiencies are.

The last one says there is a need for increased nutrients during normal pregnancy. That is very old news & I never said otherwise. Personally I agree that women should take supplements when pregnant.

None of your links have contradicted anything I’ve said and have all been totally off topic.

Last edited:
I can't seem to post any links yet on this forum....I'm too new. Prescription medication has been the 4th leading cause of death for many years, perhaps it's even higher. This does not include medical mistakes, over medicating, mixing of medicines, unnecessary surgeries, allergic reactions.

There have been very few people who have died from taking Vitamins and Minerals. Supplements, may be a larger category because it encompasses products like "Hydroxycut" (just an example) and weight loss products that are not natural and may pose risks. I'm referring to actual vitamins (food based vitamins). The numbers of death and side-effects simply do not exist as they do with medication.

Many many drugs have been taken off the market, as I pointed out with Vioxx. This occurred after hundreds of thousands of people died. The makers of Vioxx conceded that it was dangerous. The panel of people who approved the drug in the first place have been questioned about the information they had before Vioxx became a household name. Insiders knew that there were problems. Interesting, it was passed anyways.

There are dozens of examples of drugs that are no longer available. Go to Wikipedia and type "List of Withdrawn Drugs" You will find just Some that have caused harm to many.
More are on they way. This is just medication. We can talk about food, environment and all the other things that the FDA deem to be safe.

How many millions of people died over the years taking these drugs? Are we to say that it's only millions in a world of billions? Are we to ignore that our children today have more conditions and problems and that actions should only be taken when a double blinded/placebo controlled study has been conducted by some big company who's only concern is to make more money this year than last?

I was out fishing a few weeks ago, and my wife told me to wear my life jacket. I said "for what?" She said "in case the boat tips you won't die" Now she might be on to something, but I think I'm going to wait for a study to prove that.

Back
Top Bottom