Another day, another experiance...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
I am really enjoying sharing my experiances with you guys. And since taking the first step to go to the doctors it seems every day now i have some new experiance with Epilepsy. Maybe its just that i am more aware of it, or that i am looking for it. Who knows. *i used to drive a 1990 nissan pick-up, saw them everywhere. Now i drive an 09 Mitsu Lancer, And i rarely see the pick ups anymore but now tonnes of lancers. Same idea*

So anyway. Went for lunch today at work to a fast food place and im standing in this huge line waiting to order when out of nowhere, this younger lady about five people ahead of me crashed to the floor and the had *what looked like* a MASSIVE grand mal. *she was tense, eyes wide open but no thrashing? Just solid as a log and going blue in the face.* this lasted about 3 minutes. all the while she's bleeding from where her head hit the tiles.

What bothered me about this, was that she was there alone so no friends there to help her. Yet nobody stepped forward to help or even move out of the way! some people didnt even look at her. So i took off to the condiment counter grabbed handfuls of napkins and put her squishy purse uner her head and covered the cut *small but still* on her head with napkins.

The employees called an ambluance and sat back and watched. Finally a gentleman helped me when she finished the seize and rolled her on her side.
Not sure if she fainted then the blow to the head caused the seize or if she was epileptic. I couldnt find anything around her neck, wrists or ankle to say othere wise. and i let the EMT look at her wallet while i watched.

I came back to the office and all i wanna do is cry because im so angry at stupid inconsiterate people. I sure hope that if i have a TC in public someone will help. :crying:

Anybody else ever witness something like this *injuries etc* where nobody bothers to help?

Unfortunately Rae, that is such when it comes to E. The stigma about it really causes people to be afraid, uneducated, and overall ignorant about it. It's good that you were there and knew what to do. That alone should make you feel wonderful. People with E helping others with E is a great thing. Much like we do here on CWE.

I hope you can get the doc to help you soon. It seems that you're having quite a bit of strange happenings lately and it would be great to see you getting some help and getting things under control.

So far I have to commend you on how your handling all this. I love your happy attitude and ability to laugh at yourself every so often. It really is the key to getting over the initiall shock of E. After that, things get much easier, and you learn to live and be happy again. Even people without control, while having some bad days, overall end up living a life they are happy with. What else can you do really?

I have to believe that the Lord put's us in positions to help others as much as we can. Perhaps it was meant to be that you were to be in line with this lady. You were there to help and knew what to do. Coincidence, fate, whatever, it certainly was a great thing.

Give yourself a big pat on the back for being a great person. Don't worry about the others. YOU did the right thing and that's what matters.

Rae,

You should be proud of yourself for the way that you handled the situation.

It is terrible how the majority of the public reacts (or fails to react) with any type of medical issue, especially any type of seizure.

I congratulate you for assisting the woman and for being so strong! :clap:

See I never think of it as doing the right thing. I do what needs to be done. I got into a car crash a few years back. I was 15 and it wasnt bad on our end as we were hit by the skidding car that had also just been hit. The front doors wouldnt open but the back doors did. I had no problem opening them to make sure people were okay. I even held the younger child's head *who was in a car seat in the back* still incase of injury. He wanted to look around and cry but i made him keep his head still and mum kept talking to him with out looking over incase of injury.

I just dont understand why people have fight or flight mode but no help mode? I would have no idea if someone who pased out was going into insulin shock but i would do all i could while i was there. I really had no idea what i was doing with this lady, i just tried to make her comfy. I knew i couldnt stop it from happening, so i just did what i could.

Unfortuantely she didnt wake up by the time the ambulance came, but at least that saved her the embarrasment. Human minds are so baffeling!!

Most people freeze when they are in a situation that is new...and where they don't know what to do. So some will respond with a look of disgust and assume the person seizing is on drugs. Others will just give into the flight response and others are just morbidly curious and stick around to watch. They'll help if you tell them to do a specific task..but they aren't great at thinking independently. :) I think that's also born out of a fear of making things worse. :)

I'm so so so sorry Bernard! if i would have known i would have stayed quiet. I just thought that if this is what it was like to have one in public then i sure hope there are alot more good people than what i saw. uber Uber hug!
I didnt mean to make that trigger a sad memory...

I'm so so so sorry Bernard! if i would have known i would have stayed quiet.

No, no. I was just sharing a similar experience (perhaps from the opposite side of the fence). No need to feel sorry - you did nothing wrong. :)

well im sorry anyway. i never know what subjects are touchy for people and then i feel really bad if i bring them up without meaning too. I have a few of my own that make me feel bad

Personally, I

think you should be very proud of yourself, Rae. Really. You did the very right thing, stayed calm, and that was perfect.

It IS amazing, isn't it, how people just ignore the problems of others? *shaking head*

(hugs)

Great job!! :)

That is rediculous that no one would help out. That is serious condition happening. She had a Tonic seizure probably.
You think people would be more considerate of others' situation.
I have been around my Twin's seizures and my best friends seizures. My friend Rachel's seizures are tonic-clonic, atonic and absence. I've had to help her twice with tonic-clonic seizure and the second time, we were outside walking around. I just let my guide dog releive himself and one second later Rachel is having a seizure but still standing up- if I would not have been so close, she probably would have fallen and hurt herself. I caught her and laid her down on the ground- others from the apartment heard her tonic-cry and realized that something might be wrong. They asked her if she was okay and i told her yes and that I was helping her out. One guy even told me that he was a CNS/Nurse and asked if I needed anything. I told him that I could use a pillow and washcloth. Rachel was spitting a lot of stuff out of her mouth- when it was over I got her to stand up. I was glad to know that the five people around the area didn't stick around to just stare at her. They helped and left and told me where to leave the items they let me borrow. I thought it was nice that they offered to help without being in the way or stalking her down.
One lady asked "Can I get her some water or something?" I told her no, that she woud not be able to drink or eat anything at all.

Must educate more people about Epilepsy and how to care for someone having a seizure.

When people react like that it disgusts me. While yes alot of it is fear or ignorence. I still HATE the stigma & fear associated with E.

Last edited:
well done crystal. I think the reason nobody helps people in winnipeg. *regardless of the injry* is we are actually labeled the murder capital of Canada. So if you see someone bleeding on the side walk etc, most people think that its drugs, alcohol, gang shooting/stabbing etc and the list goes on. and people dont want to get involved because it could mean that person goign to court to testify etc. i dont care if it was a gang memeber or drugs, a human is a human. and they need help

Rae,

You did good! You saw what needed to be done and did it.

I've had tonic/clonic seizures in public several times. One time, I remember being in a park and had one. When I was coming out of the seizure, I remember a crowd of people standing around me and I heard someone saying "call 911". A lady replied and told him no, that she is coming out of the seizure and she'll be ok. This same lady placed her jacket under my head and hung around to make sure I was recovered. She even gave me a ride home. Then another time I had a seizure in public, 911 was called, but fortunately, they did not take me to the ER.

Last summer I witnessed a nice young gentleman go into a TC seizure in a book store and he hit his head on a book shelf. So I made sure he was ok and several of the store employees did, too. A male employee helped him to the restroom and kept an eye on him. When he came out and was recovered I asked him if he needed any assistance with transportation, but he said someone was picking him up. But what I found to be appalling was that while this gentleman was recovering, another woman that had witnessed the seizure made the comment to the effect, "he's probably on drugs," meaning illicit drugs. How the hell would she know? Is that what the public thinks of everyone who has a seizure?

Rebecca had one seizure in the lobby of her HS, where students actually were walking by laughing. The Officer on campus did question them afterwards and gave them a good scolding for their actions.

I would have no problem with helping someone out. No fear of liability, but I also have taken a Red Cross training course.

I have taken life gaurd courses and know that seizures are a possiblity in near drowning cases and was only ever given examples of Grand Mal and what to do if they still have water in their lungs after the seizure finishes.

Even the instruction as to when to not move a person, is good to know. You can still show compassion, and care to an individual, and still protect yourself from liability. I think people that don't have that training are the ones that stand by and stare, or walk away pretending like they did not notice. Even talking to someone who is hurt, letting them know that competent help is on the way, is what we as a society need to offer.

You did good.

.. while this gentleman was recovering, another woman that had witnessed the seizure made the comment to the effect, "he's probably on drugs," meaning illicit drugs. How the hell would she know? Is that what the public thinks of everyone who has a seizure?

Unfortunatley yes all to often here in Spokane,WA. :(

I used to go about in public here in spokane all off balance, and staggering about and got plenty of comments like that. Now I use my cane all the time.

Rebecca had one seizure in the lobby of her HS, where students actually were walking by laughing. The Officer on campus did question them afterwards and gave them a good scolding for their actions.

I am so sorry to hear this. :cry: That kind of thing makes me so angry. :mad:

That kind of attitude really needs to be :flushed:

Even the instruction as to when to not move a person, is good to know. You can still show compassion, and care to an individual, and still protect yourself from liability. I think people that don't have that training are the ones that stand by and stare, or walk away pretending like they did not notice. Even talking to someone who is hurt, letting them know that competent help is on the way, is what we as a society need to offer.

Yes even if you just sit with them and talk quietly and make sure they are in the recovery position afterwards. And can also call an ambulence if the seizure does not stop or if it is their first.

Back
Top Bottom