[Research] Antibodies and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kate705

New
Reaction score
I am interested in whether anyone has had the test for antibodies to Voltage Gated Potassium Channels (VGKC pos). My test was positive with a level of 163, the Neurologist has explained that this elevated level can lead to seizures and Neuromyotonia among other problems.

Professor Angela Vincent is conducting ongoing research at Oxford into this area. I am surprised not to see the test mentioned more often on these forums but perhaps it is because I live near Oxford that I have been diagnosed with this?

That's very cool. The voltage gated potassium channels are part of the synapses where neurons interact. It's these channels that help regulate the electrical signal from one nerve to another. It does make sense that it can cause a seizure.

I found a study on Potassium channel antibodies by Angela Vincent at Oxford. The study is more about their relation to encephalopathy (swelling). I would assume the reasons more people haven't gotten this type of test is because if there is no sign of encephalopathy of certain brain parts then ths is probably not related.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/127/3/701.short?rss=1&ssource=mfc

Your VGKC antibodies may have been a bit high (healthy is less than 100) but they were really low compared to the people in her study.
Paraneoplastic antibodies were negative, but VGKC‐Ab ranged from 450 to 5128 pM (neurological and healthy controls <100 pM)

Yes my level was not too high and I am one of the people who has spontaneously improved (have not had any seizures for about 4 months). I am now awaiting the results from a repeated test - because I have improved, the Neurologist predicts that my levels will be lower, they may even be normal.

I have been asked to be a 'guinea pig' for another test at the Hospital in Oxford which is also connected with Antibodies although I am not sure of the details of this one. They are interested in those patients that present with seizures and sometimes Psychiatric symptoms that get better. The link between Antibodies and Seizures was discovered in Oxford by Prof John Newsome-Davis I believe. I have read quite a lot about these antibodies on the Web and although the presentation of illnesses can be quite varied I think I am right in saying that seizures can feature quite often in the symptoms.

I did try to put some links in to other research from Angela Vincent in Oxford but I am not allowed to do this due to me being quite a new member. I hope you found this Research interesting though.

I found the research very interesting. Please let us know how things go & ask your doc if, & if so when & where will she be posting the results of the research.

If you PM me I should be able to post your links for you. I'd be very curious to see them.

Just finished reading both links & they look exciting.

Again, keep us updated on your guinea pigging. Also let me know if you need to post more links

Back
Top Bottom