Anyone Travel Alone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dawn9100

New
Reaction score
Of the last 4 flights I’ve been on, I’ve had 2 seizures... but luckily I wasn’t alone on those trips...

My family doesn’t live in the same state as I do, so we’ve been chatting a little about how I could go visit more. My son is young and needs to work, so he can’t always travel with me...

We’ve come up with the idea, of utilizing the airlines handicap accessible options- like maybe I could write down the steps I need to take if I do have a seizure? (Take a clonazepam, swipe my VNS magnet - both found in my left pocket- remind me why I’m on a plane and where I’m going, to reduce panic... those type of things). Has anyone ever been through this? Does it seem to work OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have had seizures out there in public and woke up with my pockets empty. So now I go everywhere with someone. I get real bad fight or flight and if I don't recognize the person I want to fight or run. My mom usually talks me through it.

Last edited:
I've never flown but I get the train down on my own to the epilepsy clinic. It takes approximately 4 hours each way.
Luckily so far no seizures on the train or at the clinic, my seizures are partial but I always have my medical alert bracelet on and keep copy of my medical details in my mobile cover

i do, but i have put on no fly list before because of it, and had to go to hospitals to get reinstated, it is easier to take trains.

I used to be married to a pilot and we lived 1500 miles away from family. So yes, I've traveled alone many times. Only one time during a layover did I have a CP in the restroom, so I did have time to recover by the time I had to fly again. I've always worn a MedicAlert bracelet and made sure I got an aisle seat, just in case. It was usually when I was at my parent's home the next day, I had a CP. I think it was because of the stress of flying and the time change.
We've also flown overseas several times and neither of those time did I have any seizures during the trips.
I also have the VNS.
Never pack your meds with clothes, always make sure they stay with you and if need be, have a note from your doctor to help you thru security. I also have Type 1 Diabetes, so I need to carry Insulin+ glucose test strips. I keep a note from my endocrinologist with me to show those at security.

For more info/help, check out this website:
https://www.epilepsy.com/sites/core/files/atoms/files/Air Travel Factsheet_0.pdf

I actually took my bicycle around the country with my on a train ride, for a month last year. and I really wish I did a better job documenting it, but I really just took the time to enjoy myself for a change. and went without my computer or a tablet.

Some times my daughter does come with us for flights that are short only within Oz. So far no indignity of seizures in transit or on the plane.

It would be too much for us all and to put it bluntly torture for her if my girl was on a long flight and overseas, her anxiety would increase. Also my thoughts is quality of medical treatment in some countries like Bali to scary to bring her with us....

Personal safety and seizure activity is something that would be challenging for all those who have seizures.

I used to be married to a pilot and we lived 1500 miles away from family. So yes, I've traveled alone many times. Only one time during a layover did I have a CP in the restroom, so I did have time to recover by the time I had to fly again. I've always worn a MedicAlert bracelet and made sure I got an aisle seat, just in case. It was usually when I was at my parent's home the next day, I had a CP. I think it was because of the stress of flying and the time change.
We've also flown overseas several times and neither of those time did I have any seizures during the trips.
I also have the VNS.
Never pack your meds with clothes, always make sure they stay with you and if need be, have a note from your doctor to help you thru security. I also have Type 1 Diabetes, so I need to carry Insulin+ glucose test strips. I keep a note from my endocrinologist with me to show those at security.

For more info/help, check out this website:
https://www.epilepsy.com/sites/core/files/atoms/files/Air Travel Factsheet_0.pdf

I know I should get my act together to have a bracelet on my daughter but she will not tolerate jewellery.

I was recently in a minor car bingle where a car rear ended mine, my girl and I was ok. However I have always thought if there was a crash and I'm not with it... how to exactly inform people that my girl has special needs.
,, Something that I should look into..:ponder:

Back
Top Bottom