apetite

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jamesa

New
Reaction score
hey its me again.. i know i havent been around lots going on
anyways i recently had my medicine dosage increased of tegretol
i don't know what it is but i ALWAYS have bad reactions to changes in medicine etc etc.

after adding to it i have lost my apetite almost completly
im at the stage where eating makes me want to throw up.
ive lost weight and its just bad news.

i know this happened the first time i went on tegretol
but no where NEAR as bad as this and i got over it in the first couple days.
this time not so much??

anyone experienced anyhting liek this?
any suggestions... i asked my doctor about changing the medicine to stop this he said it will likely stop just like it stopped last time.

but now losing weight im getting worried. and i still can't eat.

anyways nice to be back
-james.

Hi James,

Stacy never had any problems with appetite due to meds as long as I've known her.

You might try drinking 100% natural apple juice (made from crushed/pressed apples). Apples have enzymes in them that stimulate the appetite. Fresh carrot juice can be effective like that too.

Hi James - Tegretol did not did not affect me that way. None of the AEDs did except Topamax and - wow - it really did so I know what you're talking about it.
I crashed to 94 lb because I just forgot that food existed. So I tapered quickly off of it and then slowly, slowly started back onto it and slowly increased and did just fine. (problem is that I quit smoking 15 months ago and now I weigh a ton :x !!)
I think it's usual that you "get used" to AEDs very quickly and overcome the side effects. There aren't many I haven't tried and I dealt with all of them --- I sure hope you can too.
Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom