[Info] Biotin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Serum biotin levels were below normal in 74% of 264 epileptic patinets on long-term anticonvulsant therapy. Low biotin levels appear to result from an acceleration of biotin catabolism by phenytoin, carbamazepine, and phenobarbital. In addition, carbamazepine and primidone may inhibit intestinal absorption of biotin. Interestingly, dermatitis and ataxia, side effects of many anticonvulsants, are also observed in patients with an inborn error biotin-dependent enzymes.

There is no evidence that biotin supplementation interferes with the effect of anticonvulsants. To the contrary, correction of biotin deficiency might reduce seizure frequency, as suggested by the fact that biotin-responsive seizures have occurred in some patients with inborn errors of biotin metabolism.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_1_12/ai_n19170695/

Hmm, that's interesting. I've been taking Biotin to deal with hair loss from Lamictal. Hard to tell if it's making a difference, since the hair loss had slowed even before I started taking it.

I think

that I'm one of those that respond to the biotin therapy. Before I was diagnosed with the severe celiac disease, I was taking biotin in the tablet form, and as far as I could tell, it was helping with seizure control.

Now, I have to take ALL of my vitamins in liquid form, so it's difficult to get them all in liquid form and not overdose on one or another. So right now, I'm taking liquid B Complex, liquid Zinc, liquid Magnesium, and liquid Selenium.

I just wish someone had told me you have to take them with food before I started taking the first time! :bigmouth::bigsmile::roflmao::roflmao:

Has it been recommended for you to take digestive enzymes M?

Nooo,

not yet. I've been looking around, thinking about that, but haven't found any yet that I think I could tolerate. I can barely tolerate the liquid vitamins....and I HAVE to put them into a smoothie every morning, or I can't POSSIBLY keep them down.....*eyeroll*

The enzymes helps to break down your food. Sounds like a wonderful way to take the vitamins though. Do you do a green juice smoothie?

Nooo.

No laughing, please. It's apple juice, bananas and ginger, with some ice. The ginger KILLS the taste of the liquid vitamins, thank heavens. If I can't kill the taste of the vitamins, I can't get them down.......they're ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE. *trying not to gag*

can't you juice some greens with that though? Isn't that a lot of sugar to drink? Yeast and fungal growth loves sugar

Ideas as

to what greens to throw in it that wouldn't make it taste awful?? I need to be able to drink it......for me, TASTE is a big thing.......not to be a baby, but I am a big food person. Raised that way, trained that way in school.......can't help it.....

excuse me... we were just talking about doing things that are necessary for your health. Sometimes (as my Marine will say) it isn't a matter of whether you like it or not. You just do it, especially if it is going to make life better in the LONG run.

www.stankurtz.com
Buy a juicer and juice Pears, Apples and Spinach to start to get vegetables onboard.
Then start adding new ones. I posted one somewhere on the forum about a green smoothie that Martha Stewart made. Having the pears or apples in the mix makes it sweet. Close your eyes and drink.

Spend time making your other foods special. This morning juice is a part of your health regime. Like brushing your teeth. You are putting essential nutrients into your intestine, to allow the body to heal.
:soap:

Lolol

I know you're right........I'll just have to get over it.....

Back
Top Bottom