Blueberry and Green Tea supplement protects against brain damage

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
A study, conducted jointly by scientists at the University of South Florida College of Medicine (Tampa) and the Medical College of Georgia (Augusta), examined two groups of laboratory animals in a double-blind procedure. One group received the dietary supplement for two weeks prior to undergoing surgical stroke. The second group did not receive the dietary supplement. Results, published online in the high-impact journal REJUVENATION RESEARCH ), showed that the group receiving NutraStem had greatly reduced neural damage in the brain and demonstrated significantly reduced motor deficits.

”The numbers of new neurons found in the damaged brain of the treated rats was significantly higher,” said co-author Paula Bickford, PhD, of the University of South Florida College of Medicine and co-founder of Natura Therapeutics, Inc. “An important feature of our results is that the combination of agents used was 100 times more potent than previously published study results that examined each of the individual ingredients used by themselves.”

Co-author Cyndy D. Sanberg, PhD, of Natura Therapeutics, Inc., noted that while eliminating detrimental calories has been found to be protective against stroke by reducing oxidative stress, the nutritive diet of NutraStem could enhance and augment that approach.

“Our study found robust neuroprotective effects of the NT-020 formula,” said Borlongan. “Two weeks of NutraStem therapy lessened stroke-induced behavioral deficits, reduced stroke-induced infarcts and promoted the birth of new neurons. Our results provide a critical advance in the scientific and clinical arena by demonstrating the advantage of a multi-agent over a single agent regimen.”

http://www.medicaldaily.net/link.as...tics, Inc. Introduces NutraStem, a Stem Cell ...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2008-03/ctco-bag030308.php

http://www.bio-medicine.org/biology...lement-protects-against-stroke-damage-2392-1/

http://www.npicenter.com/anm/templates/newsATemp.aspx?articleid=20706&zoneid=28

I look forward to having my homemade blueberry-banana smoothies for breakfast during the summer. :)

WOW! Had no idea the b'berries and g'tea had other possible benefits as well! Am very health conscious and include a blue,bil,black,& elder (all end with berry) supplement along with g'tea for glaucoma. Muchas gracias-many thanks, for this info.

3tomaras

aiming to please...:bigsmile:

Last edited:
I drink green tea everyday to help keep my weight down while taking gen. Tegretol..
& I love blueberries...

mmmm, yummy! blueberry-banana smoothies sounds good :) my family loves strawberry & banana's made into fruit salad i should add some blueberries..

Not sure about the bananas as they are very high in sugar, and that should remain on the low side.

Maybe with those smoothies a complex carbohydrate with it would help. The digestive system takes longer to digest the com/carb (whole bran,barley,maize,oatmeal,brown rice,peas,beans,lentils,etc) and doesn't get into the body so quick for a sugar high.

Dawn

Hi! I also have glaucoma and had no idea eye pressure was affected by this stuff. I do know that ginkgo biloba and ginseng are bad for epilepsy. I'll just have to be careful when looking at the labels. I know our store sells unsweetened green tea with lemongrass. I think that lemongrass is OK for epilepsy... Any body know that one?

Last edited:
Taken from Newsmax.com today

If you are getting forgetful as you get older, then a research team from the University of Reading and the Peninsula Medical School in the South West of England may have good news for you.

They have found that phytochemical-rich foods, such as blueberries, are effective at reversing age-related deficits in memory, according to a study soon to be published in the science journal Free Radical Biology and Medicine.

The researchers working at the Schools of Food Biosciences and Psychology in Reading and the Institute of Biomedical and Clinical Sciences at the Peninsula Medical School in Exeter supplemented a regular diet with blueberries over a 12-week period. They found that improvements in spatial working memory tasks emerged within three weeks and continued throughout the period of the study.

Back
Top Bottom