[Info] Clarithromycin-carbamazepine interaction

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
5 days ago I was put on clarithromycin for an ear infection. The last 3 days I've been dizzy, sleeping like a log, my eyes have been acting weird & I've been having between 3 & 6 seizures a day (partials).

Today I just found out that it interacts with the tegretol I'm on so anybody that's on tegretol, be careful of any antibiotic. They don't all interact but many do. This observation isn't great because it was only done with 5 people but the effects of increased tegretol levels & side-effects are exactly what happened to me.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7847111

Last edited:
I'm so sorry Eric. It's no fun being an inadvertent guinea pig. I hope you feel better soon.

***Also take probiotics to put the good bacteria back into your GI system. Antibiotics kill all the bacteria, including the good that you need for intestinal health.

Thanks for the reminder Robin. I usually wait until I"m done the antibiotics because I want them to focus on the bacteria of the ear infection rather than my digestive track, besides, they'll just get killed off. However I'm starting to feel like I really need the acidophilous & bifidus now.

Reporting Side-effects in Canada

This looks useful

It has largely been up to doctors and health professionals to report those side effects to Health Canada through a program named MedEffect. But the people at Health Canada want all Canadians to know that anyone can use MedEffect to report suspected side effects from health products.

People can report a problem they have with prescription and non-prescription drugs and natural health products. Those side effects can include anything from minor rashes to dangerous life threatening reactions – kidney failure, liver problems or heart attacks.

It’s another way for health regulators to gather data on potential problems – a new way of identifying side effects common with new drugs.

http://healthblog.ctv.ca/post/4124666.aspx

Back
Top Bottom