dealing with the medical community

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

petero

New
Reaction score
to what degree do you feel the medical community is helping you vs. more bother than it's worth

for the sake of this poll, just assume you'd get your medications & refills whether or not you would interact with the medical community regarding your epilepsy

for what it's worth also, it feels like I've finally found a neurologist I feel comfortable with

I'm glad you found a neuro you are comfortable with. Having a Doc you can feel that way with makes things so much easier.

I'm not thrilled about the medical community at the moment, then again anytime I have spikes in seizures I tend to get more irritated. Though I have hope that im on the right track, which I haven't felt in a long time.

We've not had a great experience. The staff in the hospital when my daughter had a first seizure were great, as was the paediatrician she saw in the following months.

When her seizures resumed last year, she was then treated as an adult by the system. The neurologist listened to her story with an air of disinterest. She now sees an epilepsy nurse who is ok but not particularly warm - and didn't return the mental health team's calls when they tried to speak to her.

Can we just line them up shoot them in the head and well team up and be each others medical team? Pleaseeeeee :-D

But no in all seriousness the junior doc on my hospitals consultants team is Brill, doc at pscuch ward was amazing, neuro is a joke, gp is now treating it as nead as I got admitted too the psych ward, which was due too the epilepsy and not being able too cope with it, so All I. All its a mix between the good the bad and the ugly!!!

Right now, my interaction with the neuro is minimal. But in the past, the experience has been frustrating for me, and I've felt ticked off by the neuro's dismissive and negative attitude. I'm an informed patient, and I want to feel like my decisions are made in collaboration with the docs, so it sucks when they don't take the time to listen and don't truly offer their support.

i've had about 10 years of not actually being registered to a neuro - allthough i was quite stable. in the uk it seems to be a much longer waiting procedure to actually see one, and even the 'new' one i'm with hasn't got a clue really.

our (few) consults have just been basically me telling her what's been happening in the 6 months since she last saw me, while she makes 'aww' noises :/

for me epileptology seems to be one step away from astrology- i've learnt much more and had better advice from here lol

I had to fire my first 2 neurologists. I actually got into a screaming fight with the first one since he told me I was, "full of shit" when I explained the side effects of my drugs were almost completely debilitating. My Primary Dr. was appalled especially since I'm pretty easy going and said she wouldn't recommend him anymore.

After 5 years, I finally found someone who will listen and is very knowledgable. I have to drive to the Univ Hospital in Denver, but it's worth the travel.

But, to be honest I still feel like I am on my own a lot since it's hard to get a hold of her directly. I still don't feel comfortable calling with every issue that pops up, but that's my problem.

Last edited:
I doubt the medical community actually know what epilepsy is at lest that is how it feels and no if I had a choice I would not bother with them.

My current doctor is fabulous! Until I met him I never realized how much of what was happening to me was due to my medication. Have had other good doctors including good neurologists. But my case is light in comparison so I never had a lot of interaction.

My current doctor is my GP so he knows more about me & my medications & my reactions & my health in general than anyone but me. He's one of those doctors who really cares about his patients. Can't believe I found him, so very glad I did!

Back
Top Bottom