Dental Health & AEDs

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Daroswene

New
Reaction score
I know Dilantin is known to cause issues with oral health. Does anyone know if phenobarbital, neurontin, and zonegran can also cause issues? No matter how much I brush, stains still remain and some issues have worsened. Unfortunately, my Medicare plan doesn't include dental right now.

Like Dilantin, Phenobarb can cause gum overgrowth. Gabapentin (neurontin) can cause dry mouth and gingivitis, which can potentially cause tooth decay down the line if you son't see a dentist regularly. Zonegran can sometimes cause dry mouth as well. I don't think any of the meds cause staining -- that can just be a cosmetic issue, and one that a visit to the dentist can take easily care of.

I don't have dental insurance either, so I pay out of pocket to get my teeth cleaned. I figure it's worth it. Some dentists will have sliding scale rates, and dental schools often do the work inexpensively (it's done by students).

Dilantin,Neurontin,and most likely others have destroyed my gums.
I really haven't had the money to see a gum doctor,so my teeth are suffering badly

Hi Daroswene,

I've taken just about all the seizure meds you have mentioned and my Dentist told me to brush my teeth twice a day and rinse my mouth out with hydrogen peroxide since I've done that I've had no problems my teeth are whiter and I seldom even go to the dentist anymore. You may want to give it try but I will tell you it doesn't taste that good. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom