Derealization ?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm fairly new to this forum, and I have to ask:
Anyone ever deal with derealization, whether it's an aura or just comes and goes? I don't really know how to describe this specific sx -- but I'll try.
It's as if there's different levels of it. The first level is a thin fog over the brain, where you have some emotions, but it's a feeling of detachment. Second level of it is like a thicker fog, everything looks surreal and again, a feeling of detachment -- like you can't feel or it's like nothing is real. Intellectually, you know it's real -- but it's as if your brain don't want to acknowledge it is. Lastly, the third level of it is kind of terrifying. It's as if you're in a thick fog, and you can't connect to anything. You have thoughts like the sky looks domed shape and perception of time is temporarily lost.

. . . that's the only way I can describe mine. Yes, I have read about derealization and disassociation, but am I the only one that experiences this sometimes? It can last a day or weeks. The thicker form of it never really lasts that long, but the thinner fog stays for a while sometimes.

It's manageable as long as you can feel some emotion -- but when you feel nothing but hollowness and emptiness, it becomes a little unnerving.

I've dealt with it off and on in my life -- it never sticks around for years; it just comes and goes at random.

I know it's the brain defending itself, and is a defense mechanism.

Anyone else ever get derealization?

Hi healingsoul,

There will be times when I'm sitting in my own home and then nothing looks familiar to me and everything in the room looks like it's off in a distance. My neuro told me this was
Jamius Vu happening to me which can sometimes lead to seizures, I was told to just concentrate and remind myself where I am until it stops and then it's over. It is weird how it happens but it's part of the type of epilepsy I have. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

healingsoul,

I experience derealization occasionally. It happened a lot the first year after I had epilepsy surgery. I walk my dogs every day in my neighborhood. I started walking them again about six weeks after surgery. Sometimes when I'd be walking down the streets looking around everything seemed surreal. Another example is I would walk into the supermarket and everything would seem surreal. One more example, I'll be sitting in the car with my boyfriend driving and all the other cars I would see would seem surreal and my perception of the road and the lines on the road would be different than usual-- I remember once feeling like I was watching a movie as we were driving down the road.

I don't know if this it.i get awful feeling I not real and panic,I have to hold someone it really horrible.i had it a week ago it went on for few hours.Had to keep holding husband(who thought his luck was in ,in his dreams)It in layers as you said and leaves me exhausted

Back
Top Bottom