Disappointing neuro visit.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

froggy

New
Reaction score
I went to my neuro clinic today. Its the first time since my second seizure. They said that I'm at a pretty high risk for more seizures because I take so many meds for my other medical problems. Especially antibiotics, which I have to use chronically. He said we can discuss going off anti-epileptics if I can make it 5 years without another one. Needless to say this is not what I was hoping to hear.

Froggy,

I'm so sorry to hear your news. It is disappointing. I'm hoping, though, that you listen to your doctor and do as he suggests. Untreated seizures have a habit of getting worse over time. Shutting them down completely is the best way to make sure that doesn't happen, and that you may have a chance of getting off the meds for good someday.

I am interested in the correlation between antibiotics and seizures. Did he say it was the antibiotics, or the infections that trigger the seizures? If the antibiotics, did he get more specific about why? I take lots of antibiotics, too, and take lots of probiotics with them.

Hang in there.

My docs think my E was a result of either damage from multiple infections and/or antibotics. Many anitbotics can do neurlogolic damage, so that is probably his concern

My docs think my E was a result of either damage from multiple infections and/or antibotics.

I would ask your doc why s/he might think that antibiotics might effect you neurologically & where you can find information on that. It doesn't seem to make sense given how antibiotics function :ponder:.

The fluoroquinolone family of antibiotics can cause neurologic problems because it blocks the GABA receptor, increasing excitability and leading to seizures.

The fluoro's have also been tied to neuropathies and a fibromyalgia type syndrome.

Here is a list of fluoroquinolones:
ciprofloxacin (Cipro, Ciloxan)
gatifloxacin (Tequin)
levofloxacin (Levaquin, Tavanic)
lomefloxacin (Maxaquin)
moxifloxacin (Avelox)
norfloxacin (Noroxin)
ofloxacin (Floxin, Tarivid)
Regular antibiotics can cause problems by destroying the natural bacteria in your digestive tract leading to some malabsorption conditions or reduced ability to absorb medications.

The fluoroquinolone family of antibiotics can cause neurologic problems because it blocks the GABA receptor, increasing excitability and leading to seizures.

The fluoro's have also been tied to neuropathies and a fibromyalgia type syndrome.

Here is a list of fluoroquinolones:
ciprofloxacin (Cipro, Ciloxan)
gatifloxacin (Tequin)
levofloxacin (Levaquin, Tavanic)
lomefloxacin (Maxaquin)
moxifloxacin (Avelox)
norfloxacin (Noroxin)
ofloxacin (Floxin, Tarivid)
Regular antibiotics can cause problems by destroying the natural bacteria in your digestive tract leading to some malabsorption conditions or reduced ability to absorb medications.

I had an ER dr on tuesday, who prescribed levofloxacin for me to treat pnuemonia, and after taking one pill, I caught a commercial telling about the side effects. I did some googling and thats when I found out about it not going well with seizures or epilepsy. My family dr switched me to another, but this ER dr, along with others in that hospital saw nothing wrong with giving me that medication!

Hi Mom,

Unfortunately most DR's are not well versed on medicines and their dangerous side effects, contra indications or interactions with other meds, only a good pharmacist truly knows the medicines.

Always use the same pharmacy for your medications and always make sure to consult with the pharmacist for any contra indications or interactions with your medicines.

Just because the DR was running the ER does not necessarily mean that the DR is the best at emergency medicine or the best at anything, it usually means the doctor caught the rotating duty and had to cover the ER.

Many medications come with a seizure/epilepsy warning, but that does not mean they will cause seizures in everyone.
I take 3 different meds with a seizure warning and none of them cause seizures in me, but the fluoro's screwing with the GABA receptor seems to big of a gamble for a person with epilepsy.

Peace,
Frink

I was on IV antibotic for 2 years and then oral antibotic for another year. I can't remember the names, but I know the IV med is the worst for causing neuroical damage

Hi Mom,

Unfortunately most DR's are not well versed on medicines and their dangerous side effects, contra indications or interactions with other meds, only a good pharmacist truly knows the medicines.

Always use the same pharmacy for your medications and always make sure to consult with the pharmacist for any contra indications or interactions with your medicines.

Just because the DR was running the ER does not necessarily mean that the DR is the best at emergency medicine or the best at anything, it usually means the doctor caught the rotating duty and had to cover the ER.

Many medications come with a seizure/epilepsy warning, but that does not mean they will cause seizures in everyone.
I take 3 different meds with a seizure warning and none of them cause seizures in me, but the fluoro's screwing with the GABA receptor seems to big of a gamble for a person with epilepsy.

Peace,
Frink

I can see where youre coming from when it comes to not all drs knowing whats best when it comes to medications. What suprised me the most was that when the lady contacted us, she informed us that she checked it over with other drs in their hospital, like chief drs, one was a neurosurgeon and he himself said he would have prescribed the same medication to me. I just thought it was odd to hear it from a neuro dr. Wouldnt you think that he would know more on medications that people with epilepsy can take, over a ER dr? All I know is that Im glad I caught it and asked my pharmacy and family dr before taking anymore. It made me realize that when it comes to drs, you cant just go based off of their word that they know whats best to put you on when it comes to medications. From now on, when a dr gives me a medication, I will be calling the pharmacy first to check it out before getting it filled.

I just finished my medication for my penemonia today! :) Im praying it helps and I start to feel better soon!

I'm definately following his advise. I have enough going on that I don't need to be having untreated epilepsy on top of it all.

As others have said, some anitiotics cause neuro problems and the specific concern with me is that I VERY often need VERY strong ones. They were mainly concerned with IV merropenum and imipenum. I know I can't take merropenum because it makes me feel like I've been beaten with baseball bats and then thrown down some stairs. I don't know about imi. As the health of my lungs continues to deteriorate I will need more and more antibiotics.

Honestly, I'm hoping that in 5 years time I will have new lungs and be off most of my meds anyway.

Froggy,

Did I read right that you are in line for a lung transplant? What a difficult situation. Are you breathing okay, or at least okay enough to be comfortable? <<<hug>>>

At the present time, no. I still have half of my lung capacity and transplant isn't even discussed until you get close to 30%. But my lung disease is degenerative so sooner or later a transplant will be needed. I've been very stable for quite a while but there is not telling how long I can keep it up. I work my butt off to hang on to what I've got though.

Back
Top Bottom