Don't know what to do.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
I am getting "bullied" at work. Basically, I'm not going to win. The long time employee who is being a pain, and seems to want me to loose my job, is hiding behind the administration. The administration is hiding behind procedures and trying to make me look bad. I've been verbally abused (loudly) on more than one occasion in front of library patrons and staff. I can't quit because I have to pay rent. Four people have quit in the three months I've been here. I've tried talking to the ADA rep, and they are not being helpful. With my condition I just don't have the resources to deal with this all the time. The ADA wants me to ask for accommodations, which I don't really want to do. I can't think for the life of me of anything that will help. The problem is a co-worker and the management. I just don't know how to get through these repeating crises without loosing it.

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through a difficult time at work.

Is there an HR department that you've been able to talk to about your concerns? It could be worth the conversation, maybe? I know those things could be hard to prove about being bullied at work.

Also, if the ADA wants you to ask for accommodations then ask yourself - Are there any accommodations that would be helpful to me?
If you have accommodations on file, some jobs have an even harder time firing you because they don't want an ADA lawsuit.

Is it possible to get your resume fired up so that you can start looking for other jobs? I know that can be easier said that done, though, as some jobs don't offer a whole lot of time to even get to interviews.

I think I’m going to have to resign.

Monday the co-worker yelled at me, then called my boss. This person is known to be volatile, and to be a complainer. I honestly have absolutely nothing against them, except their hostile behavior towards me. Tuesday I had a meeting with my boss and they were accusatory. I find this sort of “meeting” highly triggering. They wanted to schedule another “meeting” with the co-worker. They’re forcing me to go. This is like if some guy punched you for absolutely no reason, and your boss wants to get the both of you together to “reconcile your differences”. I had a seizure riding my bike home in the dark, the first in months. It wasn’t too bad, but I just laid there beside the path staring at the sky. Then I had to stop the next morning on the way to work, because I was going to seize. I laid there again staring at the sky, trying to calm myself, thinking about what I was going to do. I had to call in sick and slept all day. I haven’t slept all night. I’m going to have to call in sick again. I’ll probably go to urgent care.

The crux of the issue is that my boss is enabling and furthering the bullying with these meetings. It’s the second time. I can’t just go to work and mind my own business because they won’t let me. It will almost certainly happen again. Now my physical and mental condition are deteriorating.

It makes me so mad because they are supporting the bad people and forcing the good ones out - and I have to leave a good job because of an incompetent boss.

That really sucks. It does sound as if you might have to resign for health reasons if nothing else. :( But I would write a letter to whoever is highest up in the management. And send a copy to the ADA rep and anyone else who might be interested. I know that hiring a lawyer is out of the question, but you could certainly mention in the letter that you are reserving the right to sue due to the treatment you have received.

I did all of the above. I resigned. The director came and sincerely asked me not to quit, and was very considerate, but it was obvious that nothing was going to change. I gave two weeks notice. HR wanted it to be my last day, but is going to pay me for the two weeks. The bully was obviously very pleased with themselves. I think the bully and my supervisor both have serious issues. I was really ok with dealing with the bad behavior of the bully up to a certain point. The real problem was that my supervisor was cooperating with them. They wouldn't leave me alone, it was just one thing after another. I don't know why I can't find a decent job to pay the rent.

So sorry Matthew, I hope you can find a better job soon.

Back
Top Bottom