Employee/volunteer "health questionnaires"

Would you tell an employer that you have epilepsy?

• Yes, I would tell my employer before the interview.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Yes, I would tell my employer during the interview.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Yes, I would tell my employer after I've been hired.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No, I would never tell my employer unless it is completely necessary.

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So I got a volunteer position and before I can volunteer, I have to fill out this questionnaire and part of the questionnaire asks about medical conditions and one of them are seizures, convulsions, dizzy spells, and black outs. I don't want to lie, but I'm not up for telling the truth either because I don't want to be discriminated against but I don't want any issues arising if I start experiencing involuntary movements (which can easily happen if I do repetitive movements really fast such as typing, writing, sign language, moving my feet to music, etc.)..
What's your experience with these questionnaires and do you (or would you) say you have seizures or would you just let something happen and explain it later?
I'm debating checking it because I went 41 days(which is rare, usually lucky to go two days) without any motor activity but my brain has been acting up the past couple of days. :dontknow:

Hey StrongerThan E,

I don't think i would tell the interviewer anything during the interview whether i have E or not. Unless if they ask. But luckily i haven't been through that, since my E started back 10 yrs ago.

I asked my Neuro what i should put on my license renewal about my E. He said just be truthful. So basically i put down i have seizures in my right arm. I didn't go into great details, just made is short an simple.

Zolt

:piano: :pop:

I would tell them during the interview. If you didn't want your coworkers to know about it then I'd tell him that. I would probably let someone know, maybe a manager or someone else in a higher up position, only because if I were to have a seizure at work someone would know what was going on.

Depending what the job is it shouldn't matter about having epilepsy. If it were a job working with heavy machinery of some sort or driving then you may not be hired, only because it wouldn't be safe for you or anyone else if you were to have a seizure while working. If it were an office job, restaurant and things like that where if you had a seizure while working that you wouldn't hurt yourself or anyone else then it shouldn't matter.

If I was specifically asked "do you have epilepsy" I would feel obligated to answer truthfully. On the other hand if I was asked a more general question like "Do you have any medical conditions that would interfere with your performance in this job" I would tend to answer No.

Try the Department of Labor website: https://www.dol.gov/ I typed in the search box: "Disability" and it indicates (In one of their videos) that you cannot be discriminated against in a paying position. This is a link to the video I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAKsPd_lIw8
Perhaps it is different in a Volunteer (I assume that means non paying) position.
At any rate I think that website is a very good place to start.
From the Department of Labor website link I found a link that shows where to find a local Department of Labor office:https://www.dol.gov/general/location If you need more help I am sure they can help you more at one of their offices.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I think it really depends on the job and your seizures. Discrimination is very real. I almost got kicked out of grad school when I told them I had epilepsy because they thought I was a "liability." They made me meet with disability services, etc.

The kind man at disability services warned me that they kicked a girl out of the program the previous year because she had a heart condition and fainted once.

I have told employers at some jobs and not told them at others. I never give the info at interviews anymore. I tried to disclose my epilepsy in interviews in the past, but I immediately saw the interviewer's face change. I've never gotten called back from an interview where I told them I had epilepsy. Now, if I feel I need to tell someone at a new job I wait until after I start.

It's very tricky. Usually volunteering is a different story - I have never had any problems there.

Last edited:
The kind man at disability services warned me that they kicked a girl out of the program the previous year because she had a heart condition and fainted once.
People are so nasty! Grrr.. :mad:

I guess I'm just nervous because I'm volunteering in a hospital ER and am not sure if the setting could make the situation different. Since the form does ask and I already was accepted for it, I guess I will be honest but keep the description "short and sweet".

Sounds like a smart idea. Part of my program included a hospital internship, and I did just fine. My only epilepsy-related issues at that internship were that I wasn't really able to eat regularly, that and the fire alarm went off once and really threw me for a loop. Maybe two things to be aware of for when you start volunteering. Otherwise, it was great. Sounds exciting! Hope it goes well. :)

If I was specifically asked "do you have epilepsy" I would feel obligated to answer truthfully. On the other hand if I was asked a more general question like "Do you have any medical conditions that would interfere with your performance in this job" I would tend to answer No.

I agree with this. My husbands father has epilepsy but hasn't had a seizure since he was young. He worked in steel mills most of his life. He was around loud noises, flashing lights, extreme heat, stressful situations at times, getting little sleep and pretty much lived off of coffee. I would never be able to work at that job because may of those things cause me to have seizures but other people would have no problem with it.

The internet is a vast resource for finding one's options. I would consider not "telling" an employer etc. to NOT in one's best interest.
Suppose (for example) a person with epilepsy starts having a seizure on the job, after that the employer might confuse the seizure with an illegal drug reaction. Then one might be fired for having a medical condition.
Also an employer has to make reasonable accommodation for the disabled.
( https://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/accommodation.html )
Now would you like to have a seizure and tumble into a vat of molten oil all because you didn't want to tell your employer that you had epilepsy?

Due to the Affirmative Action laws in the USA it is in an employers best interest to hire people with epilepsy.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/hiring/affirmativeact

Contacting the Dept. Of Labor is free in the USA contact them with any questions.

Last edited:
Hi StrongerthanE,

I've always told the employer that I have epilepsy during a job interview and I've been sure to put it on the job application that way they can't come back on me or try and lay me off because of my seizures. Also if anyone gives me a hard time about it at work I
can report that person if needed. I wish you only the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I put yes only because if required/ask then I would advise. If it wasn't officially part of the interview or required then I likely wouldn't say anything. I am having some issues but it doesn't affect how I do my job at this time. I do wear a medic alert bracelet so people do know about my epilepsy diagnosis.

I have had several job interviews, most of which I have said that I have seizures on a monthly basis, some employers have straight up told me that I can not be hired as I may be a safety risk...I'm a firefighter! I'm certain that the fire brigade would not let me work if they saw me as a safety risk.

I've noticed that I have progressed further in the interview process when I have not mentioned that I have seizures.

In a current position I have applied for, I kept my medical condition off the initial application form but stated it on the pre employment medical form I had to fill in, so I can't have my new employer say that they never knew that I have seizures. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom