[Info] Epilepsy Cured in Mice Using Brain Cells

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I just came across this study and was going to post it here, when found you beat me to it Chaz!! Anyway, fascinating study.

Here's the article I found on same study:
http://www.gizmag.com/cell-therapy-epilepsy-cure/27423/

"The UCSF scientists were able to inhibit this nerve-signaling firestorm and eliminate seizures in half the treated mice and dramatically reduce the number of spontaneous seizures in the rest with a one-time transplantation of medial ganglionic eminence (MGE) cells into the hippocampus, a region of the brain associated with learning and memory, as well as seizures. The mice also became less abnormally agitated, less hyperactive, and performed better in water-maze tests."

Thank heavens we won't have to deal with all those epileptic mice anymore. :)

Back
Top Bottom