[News] Epilepsy New Zealand manager under investigation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Sad news... (emphasis mine)

Michael Morrah said:
Questions are being raised about the governance of Epilepsy New Zealand following the disclosure that lotteries funding has been withheld because of misleading information provided to them in a funding application.

The Lotteries Commission also says there is a serious internal conflict in the organisation, and members of the Waikato branch want the general manager investigated.

Willie Hetaraka is a former senior sergeant with more than 18 years' experience. His wife has epilepsy and he decided to investigate the qualifications of Frank Gouveia after members of the Waikato branch of the charity raised concerns about him.

"The New Zealand Police have this inquiry and that's for them to go through, but I can tell you now if this inquiry came across my desk as a senior sergeant I would be authorising prosecution," he says.

Mr Hetaraka has uncovered evidence Mr Gouveia used a CV citing degrees purchased online when he applied for senior positions at the Ruapehu District Council and as a director of a lines company in the King Country.

Documents obtained by 3 News show Mr Gouveia was sent a BA and an MBA after paying Almeda University, which is has no physical campus, and operates in the US.

"When telephoning the Almeda University I could apply for the same degree using police and rugby experience, and they'd send it to me - an MBA - and they'd send it in 10 days for $500."

After being rejected from the jobs in the King Country, Mr Gouveia was successfully appointed general manager of Epilipsy NZ. But this time he said he was an associate fellow of the NZ Institute of Management - but in fact he hadn't been a member since 2000.

"Once you stop paying your fees it's like golf club - you have no right to use it," says Mr Hetaraka.

Complaints made against Mr Gouveia have led to some Waikato Epilepsy members being dismissed, including life member Ray Kerr.

The rift between the Waikato branch and the head office of Epilepsy NZ appears to have led the charity to missing out on crucial funding. The Lotteries Commisson says a grant of more than $1 million was declined due to "serious and escalating internal conflict".

The former president of the Waikato branch says the charity is now at risk, and so are the thousand of sufferers it supports.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Epilepsy-NZ-...rticleID/163610/Default.aspx?ArticleID=163610

Back
Top Bottom