Excursions with epilepsy.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
I have retractable epilepsy. No known triggers, times, any warnings. Needless to say I can't drive. Well i 'can' drive. And I miss it! I've got a little 5 speed Mitsubishi truck. I love driving that. I did drive to the dump last year. One trip, about a mile. But as for leaving home alone: I wear a P.U.R.S.E. a button on a lanyard around my neck. The plan is, of I feel a seizure coming on, am aura etc. Try to push that button for two seconds, then a voice comes on after a minute wait: " Hello, is there an emergency? This is security alert, is there an issue? Is this D+-&** $6-&9**. "
It takes a few minutes of someone on the line (24 hours a day) is there a problem? " If no answer, they summon the 911 emergency who does GPS too find this thing on my neck.

It's a cool idea, but I don't think I have any time to push a button if a seizure is coming on. I usually have no recall of that time before a seizure. Butt no seizures dog or anything, so makes me feel better about going and getting on city buses and shopping, etc. Alone.
Anyone else know about these things? Oh, here in Washington state, this service is a bill, I think, 40 bucks a month or so.. medicare paid for it. I know I'm so blessed for that service.

"It is supposed to have a fall detection" alarm that a person will again say " is there a problem!!?? And that feature sometimes works. I'm a crossed store out fell off my neck. Butt the floor and started loudly saying. HELLO! IS D:**¢¥% THERE?

(I WAS THING TO NOT Y REAL NAME ON PUBLIC MEDIA) ##@ !?**"BB-_**

My Aunt had an alert button like that, but she eventually got so frail that she was using it all the time for help getting up. The company said that she couldn't really use it for "non-emergencies", though everything felt like an emergency to her. :(

Those types of things would be useless for me. I can feel my simple partials "come on" & am aware of things around me during them. It's my complex partials that are troublesome. Those occur without any aura. Unless: 1) someone witnesses it & tells me, 2) I injure myself, or 3) I do something to my surroundings, I don't even know that I have had one.

Back
Top Bottom