[News] FDA Revises Warning Label of Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That's a very nasty side effect! Especially for those of us who fall into THIS group.

Some of the treated patients had underlying diagnoses of systemic lupus erthematosus or other autoimmune diseases. Some patients developed abnormalities in the liver and kidneys, possibly indicating a hypersensitivity or generalized drug reaction.

My PCP keeps an eagle eye on me when I'm ramping up on any of this stuff. She's more easily assessible, and frankly, has more time than my epi. She takes more extensive blood tests, more often than my epi. She's also the first person I call when I have side effects, then I call my epi later. Some things can't be detected easily with tests, though.

I've come to think almost ANYTHING can be traced back to these drugs. Right now I'm struggling with really sore muscles and joints, blurry vision, headaches, stupid thinking, sleeping all the time, and a stiff neck (but not from meningitis). I feel like I've been hit by a truck. My epi says some of this is not from Lamictal or trileptal - "it just doesn't do that". My pharmacist and PCP says it probably is from the drugs. I think they are right.

When I first went on Lamictal I had blurry vision (still do), weight gain, and hair loss, among other side effects. My neurologist insisted that these were NOT from Lamictal, but were caused by diabetes instead. Grrr! I am not in any of the risk categories for diabetes, and have not suddenly developed it. But I have developed a strong dislike for my neurologist.

On the other hand, I just saw my new primary care doc. She's worried about possible Lamictal-related leukopenia (slightly low white blood cell counts, red blood cell counts, and hematocrit) and has referred me to a hematologist just to be on the safe side. Stay tuned...

Back
Top Bottom