First Aid for T/C

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't know if anyone has ever set up an about.me account. It's generally good for custom business cards. But that's not important. The important bit is you can upload your own background image one one side and have information on the other. You could have that image on one side and the other can have your name and maybe some medical/ address info. You could also have something like "Don't panic, this has happened before" written on it. I reckon I'm going to get a few made up. It's a bit more discreet than having a medical alert bracelet and if you guys are like me, you'll have enough warning to at least get the card to the nearest person or (worst case) you could have it beside you while you have your seizure and people would know what's going on.

Just a thought...

Thanks for that. I have a couple of questions though...

It states "a slow recovery" as a reason to call emergency. What's a slow recovery? My GF takes about 45 - 60 mins to fully come around and realise where she is and what's going on.

Also, the "second seizure". What kind of time frame are we talking?

The slow recovery would be a concern if you suspect that your gf has suffered an injury as a result of the seizure. Along with "second seizure" a "slow recovery" can be marked by prolonged or cluster seizures — ones that don't stop after five minutes or continue one after another. These can can turn into status epilepticus, which is a dangerous state that does require immediate medical attention. It doesn't sound like that's what's happening with your girlfriend, but if you aren't sure you should play it safe and call emergency. If you need more guidance on what may require emergency help, you could also discuss this with her and her neurologist.

Back
Top Bottom