[Info] For those gettin Gama Knife Surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
My neurologist suggested Gama Knife Surgery on my Hypothalamus & I came across an excellent list of questions to ask the surgeon. It's even on a PDF to print out.

They are good questions and it does ask how many were seizure-free post surgery but I think it wise to also ask how long after surgery were they monitored since some people have their seizures return 18-24 months after surgery.

This site is specific for people getting their hypothalamus operated on but I feel these questions are relevant regardless what part of the brain is being worked on.

http://hopeforhh.org/understandinghh/attachments/FAQ-NeurosurgeonGKS-1-v1-Final.pdf

That's an excellent list. I would suggest highlighting the questions about brain swelling and how that is managed, possible cognitive after-effects, and the possibility of future brain tumors caused by the radiation.

I don't claim to know anything about radiation for the treatment of the hypothalamus and epilepsy, but I've read quite a bit about it in relation to brain tumors. Brain swelling is quite common; it can be controlled with steroids, but they come with a lot of possible problems of their own, and it can be difficult to ween off of them. Plus radiation can cause long term and permanent cognitive deficiencies.

I get quite angry when I see local hospitals advertising Gamma Knife and Cyberknife as if they were like magic pixie dust that is sprinkled over your head and poof! you're cured with no pain or side effects.:soap:

Sorry Eric, I know you are very knowledgeable and always do your homework. I know you'll do what's best. But through the brain tumor world, I've just really become very wary of any form of radiation. It can literally be a life saver, or at least life extender, but it's tricky.

All the best :)

Sorry Eric, I know you are very knowledgeable and always do your homework. I know you'll do what's best. But through the brain tumor world, I've just really become very wary of any form of radiation. It can literally be a life saver, or at least life extender, but it's tricky.

Sorry??? No need to be sorry. I'm researching Gamma Knife on the hypothalamus & am trying to find out as much as possible so I really appreciate your (and everyones) input.

Everyone seems to advertise what they have as "magical pixie dust" (Love that expression) so the more experience or researched input I hear from others, the easier it is to come to an accurate conclusion.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom