Friend Needs Help = Photosensitivity Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Frosti

New
Reaction score
I am posting on behalf of a friend who suffers from photosensitive epilepsy. In her case, newly installed LED streetlights in her small community trigger seizures making it virtually impossible for her to travel at night or even have window shades open after dark in her home. She informed the mayor and town council of the problem BEFORE installation of the lights and she was essentially ignored. Endless bureaucratic battles have followed, to no avail. Neither the town nor the utility will take any action to mitigate a problem that affects only a single resident. At the moment, she has temporarily secured lodging with a friend outside of town and cannot be at home with her family. She cannot drive and walks to and from work, which she cannot do when she works an evening shift, or at all during the short-daylight winter months. She is not computer savvy because her condition precludes the use of LED screens. Available medications are ineffective. My wife and I are doing online research and trying to locate credible resources and possibly support groups or a competent advocate. Her condition is rare and there is not much information out there. Has anyone encountered similar problems with LED street lighting? Do you know of any support groups for photosensitive epilepsy? Any help/advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi Frosti,

I was photosensitive until I had brain surgery to reduce my seizures. Tell your friend to set up an appt. with her neuro and get a
special e.e.g. done where they flash different color strobe lights one at a time, this will show what colors are affecting your friend the
most and then her Dr. can report this matter to the town board and if anything happens to her the town will be held liable.
Also tell your friend to get a business lawyer and to call the Epilepsy Foundation at 1-800-332-1000 and they can send her the
best info. to back her up. If this leads to more seizures then the town will be responsible and she could have a good lawsuit
against them especially since she informed everyone before they put the lights in. I wish your friend and you the best of luck
and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Hi Frosti,

I was photosensitive until I had brain surgery to reduce my seizures. Tell your friend to set up an appt. with her neuro and get a
special e.e.g. done where they flash different color strobe lights one at a time, this will show what colors are affecting your friend the
most and then her Dr. can report this matter to the town board and if anything happens to her the town will be held liable.
Also tell your friend to get a business lawyer and to call the Epilepsy Foundation at 1-800-332-1000 and they can send her the
best info. to back her up. If this leads to more seizures then the town will be responsible and she could have a good lawsuit
against them especially since she informed everyone before they put the lights in. I wish your friend and you the best of luck
and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Thank you!

Hi Frosti ---

Unfortunately, diffuse LED lights (like streetlights) are more likely than pinpoint LEDs (like those on a circuit board) to be triggering for folks with photosensitivity. For short distances, alternately covering first one eye and then the other can sometimes help. There are also specially tinted lenses that can reduce the effect of the lights -- your friend might want to consult with an optometrist.

Is there a way to determine which LED bulbs are used in the streetlights? There are LEDs that are rated "low-optical flicker" and warmer LEDs that are safer as well. See: https://www.luxreview.com/2018/04/04/street-light-flicker-is-new-hazard-says-watchdog/ Perhaps the town could be persuaded to make the switch.

Back
Top Bottom