Gamma Knife Surgery Patient

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Danielle

New
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Danielle and I am brand new to this forum. First, I would like to thank Bernard for inviting me to this site.:shake: Now to start, I am one of the very few patients that have had Gamma-Knife RadioSurgery to treat epilepsy.

First, a lot of people get confused about this part, but Gamma-Knife RadioSurgery IS brainsurgery.:brain: Though it is not invasive like a traditional neurosurgery and therefore has less risk of complications, Gamma Knife is brain surgery and is very complicated. The planning for this treatment involves an entire Gamma Knife team, including the neurosurgeon, radiation oncologist, and a medical physicist. During this time there are often multiple "shots" of radiation administered to achieve the desired configuration and intensity. The Gamma Knife administers a concentrated high dose of radiation through a stereotactic collimator helmet around the patients head. The collimator has 201 openings through which the radiation is delivered. The openings are opened or closed depending on the desired dose distribution. The goal for this procedure is to precisely target the area generating the seizures while avoiding nearby areas of the brain that control vital functions including vision.

I became a candidate for this surgery in the beginning of 2003. I went through 5 months of pre-surgical testing to see if I would be qualified. I'll admit it wasn't easy, but I ended up having the surgery on June 16, 2003. I became the 5th patient to have this procedure at the IU Gamma Knife Center in Indiana, and the 19th patient in the United States.:star:

After having the Gamma Knife Surgery for epilepsy this sounds crazy,:huh:, but it was considered to be an out-patient. I was able to leave that same day. I went to my job a week later. I felt Great! I had so much energy and my seizures had calmed down quite a bit, I was experiencing auras instead. I was relieved. Although, that only lasted so long. Once the 10 month period came the radiation had kicked in faster than the doctors had expected. Because of this it caused my temperol lobe to become severely swollen. It was TERRIBLE!:cry: I had never been in so much pain before in my life and I pray to God that I Never have to go through that experience again. I was put on steroids and several other pain medications to help ease the pain. The doctors told me not to worry that the swelling would only last 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately, with my luck those 2-3 weeks turned into a whole year!:cry: The swelling would not go down. At times the doctors thought that the swelling was through, but it would come back unexpectedly. I am soooooo glad that experience is over!:agree: Just last year is when I felt comfortable to start going for my goals in life. I felt that I had achieved a HUGE goal that I had been working on for a long time, and that was finding a cure for my seizures. I am happy to say that after having the Gamma Knife, I no longer experience grand-mol, or complex-partial seizures. Now ever so often I will experience an aura. I am still on medications as well. Such as Lamictal and Tegretol. Yes, it would be nice if they were completely gone and I no longer had to be on meds, but I am 10 times better than what I was before.:woot:

Because of the Gamma Knife Surgery I have learned to live life to the fullest and think BIG! Last year I did that, and I attended one of the top 50 best art schools in the world. Ringling College of Art and Design.:rock: As of right now I am living in beautiful Florida and am working as an illustrator for a publishing company. I absolutely love it, and I believe with my faith, determination and drive there is much more to come.:agree: So yes, I'll admit going through this surgery was definately a rough and bumpy ride, but if I wouldn't of pursued it like I did I wouldn't be where I am today.

So, for anyone who is considering Gamma Knife Surgery, I'll let you know right now from my experience it won't be easy, but in the long run you will be so much happier than before. I know I am!!:woot:

Last edited:
Hi Danielle, welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your story. :bigsmile:

WELCOME to CWE, Danielle

You have quite a story. You are also very brave to be #5. Quite impressive.

Wow

That's sooooooo impressive that you were actually able to go home THE SAME DAY!!! I would have thought you would have to have stayed in the hospital longer...

I'm so very glad for you that you've made such progress, too. That's really impressive. Congratulations!

Run through the gauntlet

Danielle - it sure sounds like you have been through a lot. It takes a lot of courage to try what you did.

I joked about the lousy mid-west weather in another post to you. However, the mid-west DOES HAVE SOME TOP NOTCH MEDICAL FACILITIES.

Hope you stick around with your unique experience.

Danielle,

Thanks for sharing us your story on the
Gamma-Knife! Quite indeed you're absolutely
right on all perspectives on Gamma-Knife!
It's come a long ways and improvised a lot!
Glad to hear from you!

:)

Wow!

That all I can think to say, or at least the first thing that came to my mind!
YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!
I would be too scared to do something like that! :clap:
I'm glad to hear that everything is great now!

That was so cool and you are so very brave to be able to do that. KUDOS to you, Danielle!!!

8fc87857.gif

I recently was approached by 3 Epileptologist to do depth Electrodes via Sterotactic proceedures and clarify my seizure foci. I have had 2 surgeries and VNS. Recently the MRI indicated I had Periventricular Nodular Heterotopias on the left side going back. They mentioned 2 types of surgeries one being yours. I am grateful to see it and the other surgery would be the regular proceedure.

Thank you for your message! I am a little afraid! I used to work as an EEG Tech.. Now I am a mom raising kids!

Last edited:
AWESOME! Even though your story about Gamma Knife surgery is wonderful, I'm truly inspired by the "after-gamma" events. Good for you! It takes a lot to continue on the path life has given us, but with determination and strength, anything can be achieved:woot:!!---LMT

Back
Top Bottom