Generalized Simple Partial Seizures? Is There Such A Thing?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
Is it possible that that a simple partial seizure can effect the entire brain (all the lobes and stuff)? Why I asked this question: I have so many nuances and strange things happen to me and have no idea of which part of the brain/lobe its steming from. I have researched the symptoms and tho they fit what is happening to me based on the part of the brain they should be happening, I yet, have other symptoms that suggest its another part of my brain/lobe. Neurosurgeon thinks temprol/frontol, neuro dr has never said. I seem to have things happening from them all. Sometimes combinations like:
* Smells and tingling along with muscle stiffness and jerky movement
* Deja-vu and starring into space, total weekness and sudden fear and seeing shapes, hearing sounds etc...

I guess the term is or would be "generalized simple seizure"? Is there a such thing? I looked and couldnt find an answer, did find that a simple can genarlize into a tonic clonic, but not combine different lobes?

Sounds like what I get during a simple partial seizure. Mine come from the left temporal lobe area.

hi maryl,
no, there isn't a generalized simple partial.
partial seizures come from a focus, one area in the brain known as your focal point.
generalized are just how they sound, szs 'in general' which means they have no focus and affect the entire brain.

Is it possible that that a simple partial seizure can effect the entire brain (all the lobes and stuff)? Why I asked this question: I have so many nuances and strange things happen to me and have no idea of which part of the brain/lobe its steming from. I have researched the symptoms and tho they fit what is happening to me based on the part of the brain they should be happening, I yet, have other symptoms that suggest its another part of my brain/lobe. Neurosurgeon thinks temprol/frontol, neuro dr has never said. I seem to have things happening from them all. Sometimes combinations like:
* Smells and tingling along with muscle stiffness and jerky movement
* Deja-vu and starring into space, total weekness and sudden fear and seeing shapes, hearing sounds etc...

I guess the term is or would be "generalized simple seizure"? Is there a such thing? I looked and couldnt find an answer, did find that a simple can genarlize into a tonic clonic, but not combine different lobes?

I forgot to add... I would try to be writing down as much as you can about what goes on during the seizure. For me, I get the feeling of fear and sadness... fast heart beat, tingling down my left side of my body, my head turns to the right, nausea in my stomach, and the stiffening and jerking. Next time you see the neuro I would ask him about it, and let them know what symptoms you get to see what they can tell you.

hi maryl,
no, there isn't a generalized simple partial.
partial seizures come from a focus, one area in the brain known as your focal point.
generalized are just how they sound, szs 'in general' which means they have no focus and affect the entire brain.

correct me if i am wrong, and i usualy am, i thought i read that simple partial are ususally in the same area for the person experiencing them, that if they have simple partial seizures of the lets say frontal lobe, then this is the type of simple seizure they will normally have? thats where my issue comes in...do you know?
thanks for helping me understand this. I want to be ready for neuro dr when i go to see him in 3 weeks. he's a good dr, but often i feel unable to understand what he is telling me and im unable to tell him what is wrong - going on with me.

Sounds like what I get during a simple partial seizure. Mine come from the left temporal lobe area.

not one area of the brain causes a certain type of seizure symptom? oh God, i have such a hard time trying to explain myself. you get simple seizure in the temporal lobe only? or other areas as well?

that was very easy to understand and thank you. now I hope I retain it. I think mine are the same, at least they start off the same and end differently sometimes. I saved the site so i could refer to it in future if needed. I can safely associate my confusion with seizure activity. very helpful. It's only been 2 years and I should know this stuff by now, but it sometimes seem all new to me, especially when I had a bad week or few days.

Back
Top Bottom