[Info] GREAT READ for all of us on epilepsy meds - pick yours!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

awwww.... maybe someday that will be such a thing :)

carbamazepine isn't the best drug in the world for AEDs it's the generic and increases seizures like crazy in me

Thanks! Until I get to see my Neurologist in person, that's answered a lot of the questions I had about Valproate (beyond my thorough reading of the pack insert - I'm one of THOSE people). I'd been Googling for just something like that, in fact :) Definitely will keep me reassured for a couple of weeks, which is the main thing.

Carbamazepine is also viciously addictive. What I went through to get off it I would not repeat in a million years. And I will never take another benzo for as long as I live.

Carbamazepine is also viciously addictive. What I went through to get off it I would not repeat in a million years. And I will never take another benzo for as long as I live.

They told me the opposite but I believe you 100 percent. I had a bad reaction to the standard dose. I didn't take it for awhile and it felt exactly like withdrawl from a benzo, maybe worse. And benzo withdrawl is a nightmare from hell.

But for some reason the simple change to oxycarb worked and hasn't been nearly as bad, only when I go up in doses, yuck.

When you said this, I questioned myself:
They told me the opposite
and realised I'd mistaken carbamazepine for clonazapan. It's clonazapan that took me six weeks of hell to get off: As you said:
benzo withdrawl is a nightmare from hell.

I know that some drugs have physical withdrawal symptoms but, I'm sure you'll agree, they are not nearly as psychologically and physically addictive as rivotril and other benzos. I find that, as long as I wean, I have absolutely no trouble going off meds that aren't known for their propensity for addiction, other than some general ich feelings and drowsiness, which I don't tend to link automatically to the withdrawal as I did with the rivotrol.

My neuro upped my lamictal from 200 mg 2xs a day last week to 300 mgs 2xs a day. No titration. He also upped my Topamax the same day by 200mg day. My seizures were starting to break thru. I'd never seen anyone on that high of lamictal before though. Have any of you? I might be wrong.

My neuro upped my lamictal from 200 mg 2xs a day last week to 300 mgs 2xs a day. No titration. He also upped my Topamax the same day by 200mg day. My seizures were starting to break thru. I'd never seen anyone on that high of lamictal before though. Have any of you? I might be wrong.

It's a large dose but not unheard of. It does seem like it was increased rather quickly though.

When you said this, I questioned myself:

and realised I'd mistaken carbamazepine for clonazapan. It's clonazapan that took me six weeks of hell to get off: As you said:

I know that some drugs have physical withdrawal symptoms but, I'm sure you'll agree, they are not nearly as psychologically and physically addictive as rivotril and other benzos. I find that, as long as I wean, I have absolutely no trouble going off meds that aren't known for their propensity for addiction, other than some general ich feelings and drowsiness, which I don't tend to link automatically to the withdrawal as I did with the rivotrol.

I take 2mg of Klonipin everynight for sleep. If the time every comes when they delevole another non-adictive drug that I can tolerate for my chronic sleep issues I think I will easily be able to give it up. I was in pain management for 2 years and was on moriphine and oxycodine around the clock. I was even on a morophine pump. Once I had surgergy and was no longer in pain I weaned myself off all pain meds with absolutely no help from my pain management doctor. I was a good paying patient and he didn't want to lose me but as soon as I no longer needed the drugs I had no trouble getting off of all of them.

Phenytoin My AED of choice (though I do stick with the name brand Dilantin)! "It is highly effective in focal and GTCS" (that's me). And "... none of the other drugs had superior efficacy to phenytoin in recent controlled studies". It controls my seizures and I & my doctor know, monitor and have been able to deal with the "drug induced adverse effects".

Back
Top Bottom