Greetings

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am a 50 year old Father of 3 that had epilepsy as a child. I had Petit mal seizures at age 4 which would also occur as moments of blanking out. I also experienced drop seizures at times. I was treated with dilantin and was diagnosed as having a normal EEG when I was 18 years old. The teasing I recieved as a child has caused me to follow my instincts and not rely on the popular crowd.

My daughter also had epilepsy as a child which may have contributed to a severe case of Scoliosis. She had surgery at age 16 to have rods put into her back to straighten her out. I became much more aware of the difficulties of Epilepsy when I watched my daughter struggle with having petit mal seizures every 5 to 10 minutes. She was placed in class with the learning disabled and took a severe blow to her self esteem as a result. She is 26 now with a child and a good life. Her experience has left her very strong and independent.

When I turned 45 I began to experience symptoms similar to when I was a child. I would start thinking about a subject and begin to suffer from an inability to concentrate. This became difficult for me since I was a Quality Engineer for a large company. The symptoms became worse as the stress of my job combined with my responsibilities as a parent began to take their toll on me. I had to leave my job after 25 years without getting my full retirement. I had an EEG performed but was told that my brainwave was normal. I have started my own business doing Consulting and am in the middle of recording 5 different CDs of songs I have written. I just have to work fewer days every week so that I can get the rest that I need.

At any rate I still feel like I have symptoms like the seizures I had as a child. I go through periods of increased spirituality and deep thought and then I have to sleep because of the exhaustion I experience. I really believe that I still have epileptic episodes, but that they don't occur during an EEG.

I would be interested if any one else has had a similar experience.

Hi Smorkringle, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Reading your post reminded me of how Stacy was before she tried EEG neurofeedback. Are you getting enough uninterrupted sleep at night?

That is always a tough one. I went to a sleep center a few years ago and found out I had restless leg syndrome that was waking me up around 150 times a night. I feel like I am sleeping a lot better than that now, but still don't know if I am getting the right kind of sleep. I will take a look at Stacy's diary.

Thanks

Interesting. The reason I asked is because uninterrupted sleep is a key component in keeping the seizure threshold high: problems with lack of good sleep. It sounded like you were sleep deprived when you talked about how tired and stressed you were.

You might investigate if 5-HTP is an option for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom