[News] Hampton HS Student Suffers Seizure During Cell Phone Mix-Up

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Hampton HS Student Suffers Seizure During Cell Phone Mix-Up

Brady Bendtsen, 17, Says He Carries Cell Phone For Medical Emergencies

HAMPTON TOWNSHIP, Pa. --
A Hampton High School student said he suffered a seizure while being taken away in handcuffs following a mix-up at the school regarding his medical condition.While telling his story to WTAE Channel 4 Action News reporter Sheldon Ingram, 17-year-old Brady Bendtsen dropped to his knees sensing something was wrong.

Bendtsen has suffered recurring seizures since viral encephalitis, commonly known as "inflammation of the brain," hospitalized him in intensive care in the fall.His mother said arrangements were made with the school district for her son to carry his cell phone in case of an emergency.

Bendtsen said he resisted when the assistant principal tried to confiscate his phone during a fire drill last week."I was just checking my clock and I said I am allowed to have my phone on me at all times," said Bendtsen.

Hampton Township police told Channel 4 Action News that the officer assigned to the case said Bendtsen was also verbally abusive.Police said Bendtsen used more profanity when two officers tried to arrest him.That's when the teen suffered another seizure."A lot of people were looking at me. That's when my mind started going nuts. I couldn't talk to people. I couldn't hear them," recalled Bendtsen.

"He was about to put me in the back of the cop car and I just fell to my knees because I couldn't take it no more."Bendtsen's family has since turned to the Epilepsy Foundation for help."If there's a breakdown in communication, that there are exceptions made for students, there are additional support and services provided for those students that needs to be communicated to everybody in the building," said Peggy Beem, of the Epilepsy Foundation.

The Hampton Township School District declined to comment on the situation.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/23440489/detail.html

GGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

Take time to read the comments. Seems this asst. principal has a MAJOR problem. Some people should NEVER be allowed near children and this woman is one of them.

GRRRR Is right. argh... some people..... !$&(#@%&@($@^@

Sigh. So little time, so many idiots to dopeslap.

We need an epilepsy superhero to swoop in and save the day. It's a neverending battle against ignorance and insensitivity...

Back
Top Bottom