Handing over my keys

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This week I drove by an accident scene and the officerf made me stop instead of going around to the interstate like the rest of the cars so they could unload the ambulance leaving me there for several minutes next to the flashing lights of several rescue vehicles :( Should of known I was in trouble . I finally was released to move I got on the interstate drove my kids to their friends and went to McDonalds to get me and my son some dinner I went to the drive through ordered the food remember her handing me our drinks but somewhere in there she handed me food the next thing I remember was her opening the window to ask me if she forgot something no warning nothing... I have NEVER had this happen I always have warning . Has anyone ever had this happen?

Usually my warning is a numbness in my face and irregular heart rate, facial movements, fingers and hand movements, ect... I am in shock still. I am still telling my husband when I go to the neurologist he is going to tell me it is all medication related. How do you get over denial? I have been living in denial for so long not sure if it is my way to cope or because I am afraid they will tell me I am crazy and it is all in my head. lol We move in July and I will be finding a new neurologist as soon as we arrive in the Tampa area!!!

I live in PA and I think it's 6 months that you have to go seizure free before you are able to drive again.

I never have a warning before I will have a seizure. I won't even realize alot of the time that I had one unless there is someone there to tell me that I had one. Every so often I'll get "wierd feelings", that's what I call them, I don't know exactaly how to describe them though.

I have a VNS implant so I'll use my magnet if I think I might be having one come on and it will usually go awa. Alot of times I won't even realize that I had that "wierd feeling" untill it goes away so it's too late to use the magnet to help. I just don't think it registers with me alot of the time.

Since you had one that you didn't feel coming on you might start having more like that, you never know.

It's hard to have to rely on other people and other ways to get around, but it's better than having a seizure while your driving and wreck the car possibly killing someone or yourself.

Unfortunately this is not the first time I have quit driving for an extended period :( Usually it is 3-6 months depending where we live at the time. Since I dont like to drive any way that is not a huge issue for me and my husband will be home from his deployment soon.

It's 6 months in Illinois, too. I was almost 17 when I finally got my white slip and then when I got my license, I lost it after 2 months because I had a grand mal seizure on my 18th birthday. I can't drive again until this September, but I think I'd rather go longer. My mom had an epileptic friend who was in a bad car crash a few years ago. He seized when he was driving and it did so much damage that he's nowhere near the same person he used to be. He's basically brain dead... =( I don't want to put myself and others in danger like that, and I don't want to end up like Mark.

I agree stardust. My daughter has yet to get behind a wheel. She is 18, and I have asked her to wait for one year. I do think we will do some practice driving this summer. 5 months seizure free, so it might be incentive to her to stay true to the nutritional changes which are proving to be helpful.

I am with all of you no amount of driving is worth risking anyones life and I would NEVER put my kids in the car with me at this point. If I wouldnt do that then I dont belong on the road. Thank you for sharing your stories it helps me know I am not alone that this is just one obstacle in this journey.

When I was 18, I got my driver's license first try. (I lied about my epilepsy.) In 10 days, I had 6 accidents with non-moving objects. :-(

The final one was wrapping my mother's car around a cement pillar in the parking garage. I gave her the keys, plus a check for the body work and didn't drive for 10 YEARS!

I almost always have some warning or aura before a seizure - sometimes the signs are more obvious than others. But once in a while one will hit me with no warning.

Hate it when that happens. Just out of the blue.

Back
Top Bottom