Havent posted for a while ...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dianne

New
Reaction score
because .....

My son went toxic on his meds. It was a hell of a rollercoaster ride, my son started losing his balance, then vommitting, nausea and dizziness, followed by a week in hospital. He is home now and slowly recovering

It all comes down to a balancing act in the end. We have had to weigh up what we can manage in terms of seizures against what can be controlled with meds without going toxic

So now is the time to seriously think about alternative therapies for relaxation etc

Dianne

Hi Dianne, I'm so sorry to hear about your son's problems. Let's hope that it turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

Is he currently doing anything to manage diet, exercise and sleep? Taking any vitamins, minerals, etc.?

I highly recommend trying neurofeedback, but it's not a quick acting solution. Is he practicing yoga, meditation, tai chi or something similar?

Hello Bernard

Nice to see a friendly face! When I say it was a roller coaster ride thats exactly what I mean. W e ended up in the ER in one of the worst areas of London at one point, 80 miles from home and my son was whacked out on complex partials. Two weeks later it was the big hit ... toxic on meds

He isnt on any alternative therapies at the moment, but as somebody who works in the medical arena in a field where alternative therapies are used heavily I am keen to explore this avenue. I want to look at diet and relaxation at the moment. I am celiac and know there is a correlation between gluten and TC seizures .... I would also like him to do something for relaxation, which he is keen to do, especially yoga

My son is treated in London, 80 miles from home, but I am hoping to get a referral to a local epilepsy nurse. If I dont ask I wont get will I. So they'd better watch out because here comes the mummy lion .... my son is 27 by the way so not a child but the mummy lion still has a role to play

Dianne

My son is 28 (doesn't have seizures) and lives a couple of states away but I don't think that the mother lion ever gets to retire totally. Has your son tried massage for relaxation? I go once a month - would go more often if I could afford it - and it is a great help. In fact, my massage of the month is tomorrow and I can hardly wait! What is he taking in terms of vitamins and supplements? My seizures were never controlled by drugs and I certainly gave several of them a try for more than 20 years before I gave up. Now I have great control taking B complex, magnesium, taurine, CoQ10 and flaxseed oil. I also take 5-HTP to increase my serotonin level and it has been a remarkable supplement. My doctor told me that anxiety/stress/depression lowers the body's ability to produce serotonin and, without enough, the brain can't function properly.

Lindy, my son isnt currently taking any supplements nor is he using any relaxation tecniques. Its a bit of a maze and I dont really know where to start. What would you or anybody else reading this post suggest to start with?

Is he taking a multivitamin every day? If not, that's the best place to start. If so, B complex seems to be the addition that people have the most success with. It was the first one I started with. I don't know what the availability of supplements is where you live but 5-HTP might also be a good one to start with due to the serotonin connection. What he should do, if he is going to start taking a variety of vitamins and supplements, is to start one at a time and take it for a couple of weeks before adding the next. That way, if there is a problem with a particular vitamin or supplement, he'll know exactly which one is the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom