[News] Having relative with E Increases risk of Autism

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I don't believe it..

I have a relatively healthy parent line on both sides. I'm the only one with so much wrong in my brain

Some media outlets are making it sound very extreme and focusing on the fact that someone with epilepsy has 8 times the likelihood of having ASD but if you look at the numbers that means that people with epilepsy only have a 1.6% risk of being diagnosed, doesn't that sound like so much less than 8 times the likelihood? I like this article because it spells out all the data much better than most media outlets who have coved this story as well as describing what the researchers did to get those numbers.
The results show that people with epilepsy have an increased risk of being diagnosed with autism - 1.6 percent compared with 0.2 percent.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/310983.php

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom