[News] Head Nodding Disease in Uganda

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Actually, the first thing that came to mind was Huntington's Disease, though it's not a perfect fit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntington's_disease
Africans develop it far less than other races, so it's hard to tell.

From what I can gather, it sounds like the people affected by this... thing... in Uganda are fairly localized pockets of people. It's apparently neuro-degenerative because not a single one has shown any improvement.
The proximity of the cases, in my opinion, indicate a possible genetic cause which is now showing up in the younger people, but not the older people, due to Genetic Anticipation. That's where the mutation gets more severe in each generation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anticipation_(genetics)

Overall though... who knows? :?
I guess we'll wait and see, and hope for the best. :?

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. Or possibly something that the younger children are doing, that the adults are not, like drinking from certain water sources at schools?

The thing that is strange to me is how quickly they develop this and then die. Its not like the 16 year old had the head nodding since birth. its like it just showed up and got worse until she died. So genetics doesnt make much sense in that I guess. Unless that generation, the genetic mutation doesnt affect anyone until around 13-15 (puberty??) and the younger ones are the children of these children so the gene is more prominant??

Its just very odd.

The worse the mutation, the sooner in life the symptoms show, and the more severe they are. Typically mutations along the lines of Huntington's are always fatal, and there is no cure, and the mutation would show in the kids before the adults because it worsens with each generation.

Genetic conditions are tricky, and hard to predict. :?

Back
Top Bottom