Hello, New to this forum. Thanks for having me!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Earthwise

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking forward to learning more about seizures for my son. My 5 year old son has had status seizures for the last two years. He has a seizure about every 4-5 weeks apart. Once in awhile it will only be an aura.

He has been on several medications that don't help at all. Those include Keppra, Zomisaside and some other one I can't recall. We used diazepam rectal injections then had an incident where it stopped the seizure but then it started again. We now use midazalam nasal injection.

This has been a crazy experience as many of you know. Helicopters, airplanes, ambulances, and many unpleasant experiences in hospitals. We live in a Goegraphically challenged area for easy access to big hospitals.

The research I've done seems to provide a correlation to solar and moon activity.
I found this website while searching for any information regarding the cycle of seizures that happen in a 4-5 week cycle. I appreciate any information!!

Sincerely,

Mike and Sylvan ( Sylvan is my son and he is an incredible person!!)

Hey Mike and Sylvan, welcome to CWE!

Perhaps the monthly cyclic pattern you've observed is related in some way to the daily rhythms that can modulate seizures. (This effect is known to vary with different epilepsy syndromes and the location of seizure foci, but the "why" of it is not yet understood.) Circadian rhythms are related to both external factors (sunlight) and internal ones (melatonin and other hormones) that affect sleep-wake cycles -- and sleep of course plays a huge role in epilepsy.

Among other things, this connection may have implications for optimizing dosing schedules (chronopharmacology). See https://www.chronobiology.com/an-intricate-web-the-circadian-rhythm-sleep-disruptions-and-epilepsy/ for more info.

You might be interested in discussions about monthly circadian rhythms and seizures found here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20465778
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21645436

Cheers!
Nakamova

Hi Mike and Sylvan,
Welcome to CWE! I've had seizure for 45 yrs. and for a short time while I was taking the drug Neurontin I had status seizures but that was do to the drug causing the problem
It has been studied and found that some people are effected by the moon and how bright it is that in turn will effect the melatonin and hormones in a persons body which in turn can sometimes trigger seizures. The same thing can sometimes happen if there's a low pressure in the weather because the air is heavier and in turn that effects a persons hormones and can sometimes cause seizures.
If you haven't started keeping track of the seizures write down what time they start and the type of seizure also take note if there's a low pressure in the weather or if the moon is our or there's high tides in the water this can sometimes trigger seizures for a person.
You may want to have your son have a special e.e.g. done where they flash different color strobe lights one at a time by doing this they will be able to tell if he's photosensitive which means certain colors can trigger seizures. I had this done a few yrs. ago and found the colors bright white like when the sun is shining on the snow, florescent green and amber were the 3 main colors that triggered seizures for me but after I had surgery all of that stopped. I wish you and your son only the best of luck and May God Bless the Both of You!

Sue

Back
Top Bottom