Hello :-)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick88

New
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Rick and im 28. I started having seizures when i was 12 years old. I had a surgery done on my left temple about a year ago and getting ready to go again. Wanted to stop in and say hello, and see if there is anything i should watch for the second time.

HI Rick: nice meeting you , and welcome to the board !!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know anything about brain operations.

BUT I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK AND HEALTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAY YOU BE SZ FREE ,MED FREE FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!

RIVA

:hello: Rick!

Welcome to the CWE Forum Board!
Glad to have you here!

Why are they performing a surgery this
time around?

Last edited:
Hi Rick,
My son who is 19 started having seizures at age 12 1/2. He would love to have surgery if they could only locate the focal point of his seizures. He has primarily nocturnal seizures (grand mal). I wish you the best of luck. Where and what hospital are you having your surgery at? We are originally from Ohio, my son is going to Cincinnati Childrens Hospital in December for another round of tests.
Marian

Hi Rick :) You are much braver than me - surgery scares the hell out of me!

I am also from Ohio. Ihave been getting my treatments and surgeries done at Ohio State University Medical Center.
They have some of the best Dr's.:D

Rick88,
I am very familiar with Ohio State. Spent many of my college years in Columbus. Who do you see Dr. wise at the Medical Center? I am originally from Cincinnati and my husband is from Canton. I'd be interested in checking out the hospital as we still have family in Columbus. The other hospital I'm interested in is John Hopkins.
Marian

Hi Rick -- I've had surgery on my left temporal lobe twice (wanna' see a photo - lol ?) and I'm doing fine.

The first time - Feb., 2006, the surgeon said he wanted to take more tissue ~shudder~ and the entire left hippocampus but that would be hard on my memory and current speech so he took the smallest amount possible to remove the tumor that was causing my epilepsy.

I didn't have a seizure for 9 months but they returned so May, 2007 more left temporal lobe tissue (the tiny part still showing seizures) and the entire hippocampus were removed. Whew.

Sure, surgery is no fun and it's not easy but I don't regret it one bit.
It's VITAL to have the surgery at a university hospital.
I'll have epilepsy all my life and take the meds ~yuk~ in some amount but I think and hope I won't have another seizure.
Oct. 4th I have more MRIs and see the surgeon again --- just a check-up.

My constant steady and good care is because of the university hospital.

I hope and pray things will go as well for you. If I can answer any questions, I'll be happy to.

Nancy,
Wow, good luck on your visit next week to the doctor. I am so excited and encourage to hear about all of these success stories. I know my son will always carry the label of Epilepsy around with him too , but I look forward to the day when his seizures are under control and he is seizure free. I pray for this everyday and keep my fingers crossed.
Marian

Rick - I wish you all the best with the next surgery. I truly hope this one is 110% successful. Surgery scares my daughter, though I have heard wonderful stories from many. I agree you are very brave.

Hi Rick and Marian. I recently had surgery on my left temporal lobe on 9/12 and George Washington Hospital in Washington DC. The next day they told me that the focal point is too close to where the memory and speech comes from so they decided it was too close to that area and too risky so they stapled me back up on 9/13. Now they are exploring other options such as NRS and VNS. I am not comfortable w/ the NRS since it's still a new study and VNS I don't feel comfortable w/ something in my chest, neck and brain all at the same time. I actually saw Dr. Gregory Bergey and John Hopkins hospital and he is a great doctor. The only thing is if your a new patient, there is like a 6 month waiting list. Best of luck.

Sam

Gee, Sam ~ that's rotten that your left temporal lobe surgery area was too close to vital areas and could not be completed.
My surgeon told me that my LTL surgery would certainly damage my speech and memory SOMEWHAT but they would return within a year. The removal of my left hippocampus would be repaired slowly by the right one .... (good grief - my poor brain).
I still don't regret the surgeries one bit.

Hi Nancy,

So when did you have surgery? Did you have any speech or memory problems after the surgery?

Sam

Hi again Sam

My first surgery (when the tumor was removed) was Feb. 14, 2006. I did not have a seizure for, I think, 9 months and things were looking sooooooo good.
As soon as the seizures started again it was back for more PET ( the MRIs had never stopped or even slowed down) and another 5 day VEEG which showed seizures in the exact same old place -- around where the tumor had been. So, on May 18, 2007, more surgery to remove that small spot and all of the left hippocampus.

I had more MRI just today - Oct.4, and saw the surgeon. All is clear and perfect. I'll be seeing the neuropsych next month for more of the testing they consider necessary 6 months after surgery.

Best wishes and high hopes for you.

Rats --- I forgot ( LOL LOL) to say that yes, I have speech and memory problems. I was told I would have those. The doctors said they would slowly be repaired by the right side of my brain. The problems should be solved within 12 months.

My speech is saying STUPID things and not knowing it. I can ask my husband to please put the leftover salad into the ring worm for me. He will understand that I mean he should put it into the refrigerator but when I ask him if I could please mangle a horse state, he's lost.

Oh I do hope they write some of these saying down, so you can have a chuckle at your own expense in 12 months.

Almost sounds like the "British Language" :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom